Upgrade AMD Radeon 200

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chris609

Honorable
Apr 19, 2014
HI there hoping someone can help here,
Due to a new release I would like to upgrade my pc so it can run the game on high settings comfortably.

Looking for a GPU upgrade but willing to upgrade supporting components.

Here is my Current Specs

System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7693
BIOS: V22.2
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor (6 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16332MB RAM
Page File: 7394MB used, 11369MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6810)

If You need anything else give me a shout

Thanks in advance

Chris

Solution
Any new game you play, or old game for that matter, is going to be hamstrung by that CPU. As far as the graphics card is concerned, 200 series doesn't tell us much. There are MANY 200 series cards, from weak to fairly powerful even still today.

Basically, just about any modern graphics card that you can afford will work in that system so long as there is physically room inside the case and it's not too long and doesn't interfere with the drive cages or side panel. Also, based on the capabilities of your power supply. There are already a great many discussions regarding power supplies on this site to help you make that determination but knowing what model of PSU you have would go a long way towards knowing what cards might realistically...
Not usually. There should be a visible label somewhere on the back or one of the sides of the power supply with the rated capacity specs and model number on it. Sometimes it is necessary to unplug, remove the four screws holding it to the case and turn the unit as the PSU might be installed upside down or have the label on one of the sides that is not visible.