Question Upgrade and Stabilize a 3930k System

Feb 25, 2019
Greetings,

New user here and first post. It is time for me to build a new PC, however, before I do so, I would like to upgrade/stabilize my current rig to keep as a secondary gaming PC for friends/visitors, etc. It is currently suffering from major freezes and lock ups. I can't seem to track it down. I will list my current specs and would love some help/guidance. I am open to wiping everything If i need too and doing fresh installs to rule out viruses, malware, etc. However, I am fairly certain that is not the issue. I did experiment with some mild overclocking on the CPU and GPU, however, I have a very extensive and overkill custom water cooling loop and the temps never went crazy, nor did I push the overclocking. I basically used the preset overclocking options in the motherboards bios, etc. The lockups/freezing seem to happen at random. Sometimes it happens within a few minutes, other times I can be gaming for a couple hours before it occurs. I have turned off multi monitor support, turned off graphic accelerators, stopped using discord, etc. All my drivers are up to date and current. The only hardware conflict showing is: Standard SATA AHCI Controller. The system refuses to recognize 3 SSDs no matter how I plug it into the MOBO. It will recognize all of them individually, or two at a time in any combo. It appears to be an issue from factory with the MB from my research and should not be causing the freezing/lockups, but who knows.

My goals are to buy a new GPU for best value/performance I can get for 1080p gaming on this rig and upgrade the CPU if needed. However, from most thing I read, the 3930k is a beast and should suffice. I do not need 100+ FPS on max settings on current games, I am happy with 60+ fps on current games. I just want the freezings/crashing to end! I am looking at the new GTX 1660 TI.

So, without further rambling, this is what I am working with:

Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
Powersupply - Corsair Professional Series AX 1200 Watt Digital ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Platinum (AX1200i)
CPU - Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73930K
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX690 4096MB GDDR5 512bit, Dual GPU, 2xDVI-I,DVI-D,mDisplayPort, Quad SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 04G-P4-2690-KR
RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHz (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory (CMD32GX3M4A1866C10)

SSD OS - OCZ Technology 64GB Vertex 4 Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) With Industry's Highest 85K IOPS And 5-Year Warranty -VTX4-25SAT3-6
SSD Games - SanDisk Extreme SSD 480 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-480G-G25

OS - Windows 10 Home edition

There are a host of other items, custom liquid cooling, fan controllers, fans, etc all inside a massive caselabs magnum case. Cooling is not a problem. I am using 3 360mm rads with push/pull fan configs on each one with fans on each side, with additional fans in the case.
The GPU, CPU and MB are all in the cooling loop. The ram is NOT and ram was never overclocked. I would like to think the overclocking did not and is not the cause of the issue. Some of the symptoms also including after a reset, I would have to go and reset the BIOS as
the system would not boot up for some reason. I replaced the CMOS battery, and still happened. This issue has stopped ever since I removed all the overclocking. It now happens very rareily, but the crashing/freeze ups still occur, main difference is I no longer have to
reset the bios each time.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.