Reputable
May 12, 2014
First of all, my current build is:
Mobo: Gigabyte H110M-DS2
CPU: i5-6400
GPU: GTX 970
HDD: WD Red 1tb
RAM: Kingston Hyper X 8gb DDR3
When building this rig I knew I made a major mistake slapping an i5 on an H110 (bit of a long story actually)...but now I have a chance to correct that mistake. But I am at a dilemma as to whether I should correct my mistake by upgrading to an H170 and G Skill 8 gb ddr4 or leave it as is an get an 850 EVO SSD instead. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
The only mistake is that you got DDR3 which is a poor choice, yes, oh and also getting a NAS hdd doesn't seem all that reasonable as well but this doesn't matter. If you get a new board with ddr4, you won't get a performance boost, however if you go for an SSD, you will notice huge change espcially in load times.
The only mistake is that you got DDR3 which is a poor choice, yes, oh and also getting a NAS hdd doesn't seem all that reasonable as well but this doesn't matter. If you get a new board with ddr4, you won't get a performance boost, however if you go for an SSD, you will notice huge change espcially in load times.

Solution

Masquerade908

Reputable
May 12, 2014

Well..the whole reason why I have DDR3 in the first place is because of an old build that got fried by lightning. The strike fried everything but the RAM and HDD. I chose NAS as my primary drive because I've had too many failures before and I decided "screw speed, I need reliability" and reused it from my old build.