Upgrade build help

Oct 7, 2018
Hey guys my current gaming pc is 8 years old now and it's time to upgrade. I know I want to use a Ryzen 2700x processor, I'm thinking the MSi x470 Gaming Pro Carbon mother board, a Geforce 2080 Ti, and my hard drives out of my current setup. I'm also hoping my current case will still work ok. My first question is will my power supply be ok for this build still? It is a Corsair TX650 V2. I would think it should still have enough power, but not positive. My other question is to the RAM... G.SKILL Sniper X Series 16GB DDR4 3400 is my thoughts here. Would this be a good setup to play my games at high settings for the next 3-5 and not be dealing with lag and frame rate drops? Thanks for any help

No, you dont need a new PSU. The Corsair TX 650 is a good PSU and will push that system just fine. Nvidia recommends a 650 watt PSU for the 2080ti and those requirements tend to be on the high end. The 2080ti under load pushes about 30 watts more than the 1080ti. See power consumption in the link below.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_Founders_Edition/31.html

As far as RAM goes, Ryzen can be picky with RAM but the 400 series chipset has improved RAM compatibility a lot. If you want to be sure that it will work, go with RAM on the QVL as suggested above. If you dont go with RAM on the QVL, then just make sure to get it from a vendor who will take a return, just in case.

You bigger issue with the RAM may be getting it to run at 3400mhz without a lot of tinkering. 3200mhz is typically fairly easy, so that is the speed I would target as performance increase does not scale as well when you get much higher than 3200mhz.

What monitor are you using? If you are not gaming in 4k, then I would not recommend spending the money on a 2080ti. It is grossly overpowered for 1080p and 1440p. Even for 4k/60hz, you will be leaving a lot of performance on the table. The only way I would recommend a 2080ti right now is if you have one of those fancy 4k/144hz panels. If I were building a new rig today, I would go get a 1080ti on sale or even get a used one for cheap.

Then next year we will see how RTX takes off and I would look at the next gen RTX cards or see what AMD is offering. Buying a 2080ti right now comes with a very high early adopter price and for me I would rather hang on to my money considering a 1080ti will be able to push any AAA game for the foreseeable future.

Oct 7, 2018
Good info thnak you, so go with the 3200mhz ram recommended above and should be fine there.

As for my monitor I actually use my 55 in 4k tv. Would you still recommend the 1080ti with that being the case?

Yes, I would still go with a 1080ti. That TV will only run 60hz and the 1080ti can push 60fps at 4k in most games at high settings. The 2080ti is about 30% faster than the 1080ti and will cost more than 100% more than the 1080ti. It just really does not make much sense.

I would buy a used 1080ti for around $500 and save the extra $800 you would put that down on a 2080ti and use it next year when ray tracing is actually a thing.

Oct 7, 2018
Ok sounds like a plan. So while I'm asking for advice I may as well double check to see if my case will work too, it is a Azza CSAZ-2000R Hurrican 2000R Full Tower Gaming Case.