[SOLVED] Upgrade, Build Or Wait (New system?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hi,

Should I upgrade, build new computer or wait?

Build new PC budget: £3000
Upgrade budget: Any

My Computer specs:

1x Intel i9 7900x 3.3GHz Skylake CPU
1x Asus Intel Prime X299-A 128GB DDR4 2066 Motherboard
1x 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM
1x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 11GB TI Black Edition iCX GDDR5X Graphics Card
1x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD
1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
1x Corsair TX-M 650W Hybrid PSU
1x Corsair H115i Pro RGB Water Cooler
1x Corsair Crystal 460X RGB PC Case
1x Windows 10 Pro COA Licence
1x Arctic F12 120MM Case Fan
1x 2.5 - 3.5 SSD HDD Mounting Bracket

Solution
I'm in the queue for a 3080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, but I'm also on the lookout for the 3080 FE and RX 6800XT reference.
I would prefer to DIY hybrid cool it, if I can help it; Alphacool has some Eiswolf gpu AIOs coming next month.

I refuse to pay those scalper prices. If I'm going to pay those kinds of prices, I may as well get a 3090, and I already have reservations against that.

EVGA's NA summary table: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NrR71ipaJktCzT1pWj9FWxNHGWAbcxMorvRvEPaPh48/edit
I signed up on Jan 8th, so it's going to take awhile, but it's not as bad as the other air cooled cards, since they're more popular.
Though, come April 16th(?), the price will go up for people who entered the queue before Jan 11th. If I don't get...
D

Deleted member 2838871

Yes everything which you have outlined. I would like some ray tracing as well to get better lighting inside my games.

I would like:

1. 2k/4k 144hz in ultra settings in games like GTA-V, red dead, cyberpunk and other games like this.
  2. Ultra Ray tracing
  3. Minecraft in ultra shaders
  4. Streaming/recording games at same time while keeping the frames up
  5. Want a really fast computer in general for everything

I was running a 7700k /1080 Ti system for nearly 4 years and I built a new PC... not only for gaming but for all the video work I do... which justified the 3090 purchase. Gaming only, go 3080.

AMD is currently on top for gaming.

By margins that most wouldn't notice... or care about. I went Intel because the chip was available at retail price. The AMD chips have a scalper tax attached... which makes them a much worse value overall. I don't care how good the 5950x is... it's not worth nearly 2.5x the price of the 10900k... but that's what scalpers have them listed for on eBay... and people are paying it. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

To each their own.

But ussually comes at a higher price.

(y)

Reactions: Why_Me
I was running a 7700k /1080 Ti system for nearly 4 years and I built a new PC... not only for gaming but for all the video work I do... which justified the 3090 purchase. Gaming only, go 3080.

By margins that most wouldn't notice... or care about. I went Intel because the chip was available at retail price. The AMD chips have a scalper tax attached... which makes them a much worse value overall. I don't care how good the 5950x is... it's not worth nearly 2.5x the price of the 10900k... but that's what scalpers have them listed for on eBay... and people are paying it. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

To each their own.
I agree on both things.
thats why i said in the post right below the one you first quoted that its not really worth paying $500+ on a cpu that you will just be gaming on.
Really small difference in gaming between a solid 10400F and idk a 5800X,especially when we conisder the price not only for the CPU,but for the ram and the motherboard.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I agree on both things.
thats why i said in the post right below the one you first quoted that its not really worth paying $500+ on a cpu that you will just be gaming on.
Really small difference in gaming between a solid 10400F and idk a 5800X,especially when we conisder the price not only for the CPU,but for the ram and the motherboard.

No worries man, I saw that after the quote which is why I added your 2nd quote to my post... but yeah, I agree too. I'd have done a lesser CPU than a 10900k if I were gaming only... but I wanted the cores for the video work in addition to the 3090. It makes a big difference encoding and OMG is it a night and day improvement over the 7700k. It obviously helps with gaming too...

The most demanding game now is Cyberpunk because it's poorly optimized.
6 more FPS with a 3090 over the 3080.
https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content...RTX-3090-RTX-3080-RTX-3070-RTX-3060-Ti-_1.png

MSFS2020 is right up there too as far as demanding goes... it's also poorly optimized. It's playable on my system in 4K ultra but I'm averaging about 40 fps and it's not really a huge deal because it's a flight simulator. VR is the new thing though and since it came out that's all I've been using with similar framerate on a high setting. The VR alone is worth the price of admission. My god it's amazing with the G2 headset.

What's funny is I bought CP2077 on release date... and haven't played it yet. I haven't even loaded it. All I've done is install it and do patch updates with GOG. I've heard so many complaints about it and I've been tied up with MSFS2020 and just haven't gotten around to CP2077.

Maybe I'll try it this weekend... :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Reactions: Dj0gany
No worries man, I saw that after the quote which is why I added your 2nd quote to my post... but yeah, I agree too. I'd have done a lesser CPU than a 10900k if I were gaming only... but I wanted the cores for the video work in addition to the 3090. It makes a big difference encoding and OMG is it a night and day improvement over the 7700k. It obviously helps with gaming too...

MSFS2020 is right up there too as far as demanding goes... it's also poorly optimized. It's playable on my system in 4K ultra but I'm averaging about 40 fps and it's not really a huge deal because it's a flight simulator. VR is the new thing though and since it came out that's all I've been using with similar framerate on a high setting. The VR alone is worth the price of admission. My god it's amazing with the G2 headset.

What's funny is I bought CP2077 on release date... and haven't played it yet. I haven't even loaded it. All I've done is install it and do patch updates with GOG. I've heard so many complaints about it and I've been tied up with MSFS2020 and just haven't gotten around to CP2077.

Maybe I'll try it this weekend... :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Cyberpunk seems a bit boring to me gameplay wise,and honestly there is so many things you can do that it almost becomes unclear to me what the actual goal is.But i cant really judge a game i havent played so ill stay neutral about it.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Cyberpunk seems a bit boring to me gameplay wise,and honestly there is so many things you can do that it almost becomes unclear to me what the actual goal is.But i cant really judge a game i havent played so ill stay neutral about it.

I'll post my thoughts when I get around to playing it. I definitely want to try it and I'm sure it will be beautiful with the 3090 and RT... but again, just been tied up with MSFS2020 and I'm still playing RDR2 for crying out loud... LOL I'll probably get around to it soon though, I am kinda anxious to see how close I can get to 4K ultra 60 fps with my system.

what will be the next AAA game in 2021 ?

I've heard good things about Hitman 3 that just came out... and it apparently is optimized very well. I haven't bought it yet but am considering it. MSFS2020 is truly amazing if you're into flight sims but just needs a little optimization work as does CP2077 from what I hear.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
I'll post my thoughts when I get around to playing it. I definitely want to try it and I'm sure it will be beautiful with the 3090 and RT... but again, just been tied up with MSFS2020 and I'm still playing RDR2 for crying out loud... LOL I'll probably get around to it soon though, I am kinda anxious to see how close I can get to 4K ultra 60 fps with my system.

I've heard good things about Hitman 3 that just came out... and it apparently is optimized very well. I haven't bought it yet but am considering it. MSFS2020 is truly amazing if you're into flight sims but just needs a little optimization work as does CP2077 from what I hear.

With the games you said like Hitman 3 and Microsoft flight simulator. Will there be much difference in performance between the 3080 and the 3090 card ?

3090 should deliver 60fps with max settings 4k with rtx,judging by this video.

Cool . And would the 3080 and 3090 be able to run all of them games pretty much the same performance?
Far cry 6,Resident Evil 8,NFS 2021 or Forza 5,ARK 2,Star Wars,Dying light would be more GPU bound then cpu.
But 3080 should achieve more than 60fps with settings and all that in every game i listed.
OverWatch 2 is a first person shooter so its more cpu bound than gpu,and i think you will see more than 300 fps on competitive settings.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Far cry 6,Resident Evil 8,NFS 2021 or Forza 5,ARK 2,Star Wars,Dying light would be more GPU bound then cpu.
But 3080 should achieve more than 60fps with settings and all that in every game i listed.
OverWatch 2 is a first person shooter so its more cpu bound than gpu,and i think you will see more than 300 fps on competitive settings.

should I wait for the 3080 TI which should be released this year some time like in March ?

Status
Not open for further replies.