Upgrade Choice Overload

Mar 11, 2018
Time to upgrade my trusted Asus P67 Sabertooth & heavily OC'd i5-2500K. The question is low end X299 or sweet Z370 bundle??? I'll need the next mobo to last about 4 years!

Used for Gaming and mostly Arma 3, currently at 1920. Not bothered about RGB, but good audio needed and will OC as much as I can. RAM and GPU will be ungraded as and when.

For my budget I can grab an (for e.g.) Asus Strix F Z370 mobo, i7-8700K, fan and RAM, but that maxes out my CPU option.

Would I be better going for a decent X299 mobo with a low end CPU for now, and just upgrade that in a couple of years? If you got Pros & Cons; awesome!

urbancamper

Distinguished
The 8700k is the king of gaming right now. Depending on the video card you get that would last 4 years. However if you also do content creation, or stream, it might be a good idea to wait and see what's next in line for Ryzen. While I realize you did not mention AMD, the next generation, according to the leaks anyway, are making some fairly large boosts over the current gen. You might want to wait and see.

Mar 11, 2018
Cheers @urbancamper. my current GPU would bottleneck either system as its a oldish R9-280X, but I'd upgrade that sometime over the next few months too, probably to a 1070 or equiv...
I think a comparative Z299 system would cost me around £200 - £250 more than a 8700k setup and chances are a HEDT CPU upgrade in a few years would still be pretty expensive.
My old i5-2500K is still managing to hit about 8700 on 'CPU Mark' so I''d be looking for something double that to warrant the outlay. I've never bought AMD, but I may wait to see what's happening.

TRENDING THREADS