[SOLVED] Upgrade CPU and Motherboard Question

Aliency

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
Hello guys,

I want to upgrade my CPU and motherboard (only). This is the first time I will do this, thus I have the following question:

-Will Windows still work? (As the key is embedded in the current BIOS) - I have upgraded from 8.1 to 10 several years ago. If not do I need to reinstall windows again?

Finally Im thinking to purchase the 9900KS as i currently have the 5960x. Do you think is worth waiting for the next gen extreme processors?

Below is my current build full specs:

-x99 rampage v extreme
-5960x @4.2ghz all cores
-16gb ram @3000mhz
-1500 PSU corsair
-2x 2080TI
-cpu cooler: thermaltake 360 AIO floe riing

Solution
You mean reinstall new set of windows? (New license)

If your Windows key is OEM, then yes. On the other hand, a retail version will allow you to activate the same license on your new build.

I am wondering what makes you want to change platforms at this point when Intel is about to introduce a new socket and a new chipset for the upcoming Comet Lake CPUs? If you had to upgrade now, AMD's current platform is significantly more diverse.

I think buying into 9900KS + Z390 motherboard now is going to be a bad decision which you will regret very soon.

Ironically, I just built an X99 workstation with i7 6850K which I plan to run into oblivion to the point when $2k processor for 2011-3 will cost under $100. (Executed the same plan...
Hello guys,

I want to upgrade my CPU and motherboard (only). This is the first time I will do this, thus I have the following question:

-Will Windows still work? (As the key is embedded in the current BIOS) - I have upgraded from 8.1 to 10 several years ago. If not do I need to reinstall windows again?

Finally Im thinking to purchase the 9900KS as i currently have the 5960x. Do you think is worth waiting for the next gen extreme processors?

Below is my current build full specs:

-x99 rampage v extreme
-5960x @4.2ghz all cores
-16gb ram @3000mhz
-1500 PSU corsair
-2x 2080TI
-cpu cooler: thermaltake 360 AIO floe riing

1- You may have to reinstall windows if you are switching brands or chipsets of a motherboard. If you don't, it may work but you can get glitches and bsod's.

2- Don't buy the 9900k, the 10900k is not far off and it has clock speeds of 5.2ghz!

Hope that helps

Aliency

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
1- You may have to reinstall windows if you are switching brands or chipsets of a motherboard. If you don't, it may work but you can get glitches and bsod's.

2- Don't buy the 9900k, the 10900k is not far off and it has clock speeds of 5.2ghz!

Hope that helps

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

If your Windows key is OEM, then yes. On the other hand, a retail version will allow you to activate the same license on your new build.

I am wondering what makes you want to change platforms at this point when Intel is about to introduce a new socket and a new chipset for the upcoming Comet Lake CPUs? If you had to upgrade now, AMD's current platform is significantly more diverse.

I think buying into 9900KS + Z390 motherboard now is going to be a bad decision which you will regret very soon.

Ironically, I just built an X99 workstation with i7 6850K which I plan to run into oblivion to the point when $2k processor for 2011-3 will cost under $100. (Executed the same plan with X58 workstation which has been running 24/7 for the past 11 years now!)

Solution