I have a self-built desktop with the following specs:
NZXT H510 case
MSI X370 Gaming Plus motherboard
Thermaltake 750 watt 80+ gold Smart DPC G series power supply
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 processor
32 GB (Four 8 GB sticks) Corsair LPX DDR 4 RAM
Samsung (&) EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe boot drive
Two additional 1TB SATA SSDs as storage
TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot are supported on this motherboard and/or processor.
Windows 10 Pro upgraded through the Microsoft Update Dev Channel to Windows 11 Pro
I do not game. This system runs very well, and I am very happy with its’ performance.
I find that I actually enjoy Windows 11 and would love to continue using it one it is released.
The problem is that my system doesn’t meet the system requirements of Windows 11, due to the first gen Ryzen processor.
To pre-empt any problems that may crop up with the public release of Windows 11, I have ordered a Ryzen 7 3700x processor. I have already verified that my motherboard supports this processor, and the I have the correct BIOS installed that supports that processor.
My question is this: if I replace the processor, will that cause problems with my current OS installation? I am not adverse to having to do a clean install, but would really rather not if I don’t have to. My system is completely stable, performs very well, and even though I did an in-place upgrade through Windows update, I see no compelling reason to do a clean install.
So…will a processor upgrade cause any issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks

Solution
It's unlikely you'll need to reinstall.

Though it is good to be able to clean install if you need to because things happen. Even if you don't need to do it this time, it's always good to be prepared.

For me, on my file server, I keep separate folders for each PC I own with the install files for the software that I use. So when I need to do a Windows install, I lose very little time (and since I work from home mostly, time is money). Generally, the best way to deal with the hassle of Window installs is to prepare ahead of time so that it doesn't even really matter if you have to install Windows or not.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Though it is good to be able to clean install if you need to because things happen. Even if you don't need to do it this time, it's always good to be prepared.

For me, on my file server, I keep separate folders for each PC I own with the install files for the software that I use. So when I need to do a Windows install, I lose very little time (and since I work from home mostly, time is money). Generally, the best way to deal with the hassle of Window installs is to prepare ahead of time so that it doesn't even really matter if you have to install Windows or not.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
Aug 20, 2021

For me, on my file server, I keep separate folders for each PC I own with the install files for the software that I use. So when I need to do a Windows install, I lose very little time (and since I work from home mostly, time is money).
Thanks. I have Windows on the boot drive, and I install all software that doesn't require being on the boot drive to one of the two SATA SSD's. I do a system image once every two weeks. If I do have to reinstall, I can be back to where I was in little time as well. My issue was a concern that Microsoft may stop offering the upgrade to Windows 11 on systems that don't meet the base requirements before the final public release.

My issue was a concern that Microsoft may stop offering the upgrade to Windows 11 on systems that don't meet the base requirements before the final public release.
I highly doubt they'll do this in the current climate since new hardware is hard to come by. Maybe in the future, but in general older hardware hasn't been particular locked out of new software because even older pentium 4s can run win10.

USAFRet

Titan
To pre-empt any problems that may crop up with the public release of Windows 11, I have ordered a Ryzen 7 3700x processor.
You should have waited until it was actually released.
Needs and requirements may change.

And the prerelease version you install today will NOT be the same as what is in the actual release version.
Ability to install on older hardware today not not mean that will carry over after release.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Aug 20, 2021
You should have waited until it was actually released.
Needs and requirements may change.

And the prerelease version you install today will NOT be the same as what is in the actual release version.
Ability to install on older hardware today not not mean that will carry over after release.
I bought now because I found one at a reasonable price (not easy with the prices and non-availability of CPUs and GPUs these days). You last comment was a prime motivation for me; Microsoft has stated repeatedly that the final release will not install on 1st Gen Ryzen, even though it runs as well as if not better than windows 10 did on mine.

Aug 20, 2021
I highly doubt they'll do this in the current climate since new hardware is hard to come by. Maybe in the future, but in general older hardware hasn't been particular locked out of new software because even older pentium 4s can run win10.
Windows has stated repeatedly that the final version will not install on first gen Ryzen CPU's, even though the insider channel did install it on my computer, and the fact that Windows 11 runs as well as if not better than 10 did. Microsoft said that they do not anticipate changing the hardware requirements, so that would mean that the final public release version would not install on my computer.

USAFRet

Titan
I bought now because I fond one at a reasonable price (not easy with the prices and non-availability of CPUs and Gpus these days). You last comment was a prime motivation for me; Microsoft has stated repeatedly that the final release will not install on 1st Gen Ryzen, even though it runs as well as if not better than windows 10 did on mine.
They also said "8th Gen Intel or newer".
However, they are apparently testing on 7th gen as well.

If you got the CPU at a reasonable price, no harm no foul.

But buying new parts to meet an unreleased hardware requirement is usually a bad idea.

Reactions: SamirD

USAFRet

Titan
Lastly, there is NO need to rush to Win 11.

Your existing Win 10 will not fall off any support until 2025.

I'm considering installing Win 11 on my HTPC, only because it already meets the stated hardware specs.
Ryzen 5 3550H

I am NOT rushing out to buy new parts for my main PC (i7-4790k, full specs below) to meet requirements for Win 11.
There is NO need, and what happens between now and 2025 will almost certainly include a new PC anyway.

Aug 20, 2021
They also said "8th Gen Intel or newer".
However, they are apparently testing on 7th gen as well.

If you got the CPU at a reasonable price, no harm no foul.

But buying new parts to meet an unreleased hardware requirement is usually a bad idea.
My question was more concerned about the impact a new processor would have on my current install. I am retired, and I certainly do not have a lot of money to throw around. I simply took advantage of a situation and got the processor I wanted for a good price. My question was not about whether my first gen would upgrade or not at final release; Microsoft has stated emphatically that the processor requirements are a 'hard floor' and will not change. I am active in the developer and insider forums, and there is not a glimmer of hope that the processor requirements will change. Perhaps they may, but since I found a pretty good deal on a processor that will give me a seamless path to final, I went with it.

USAFRet

Titan
My question was more concerned about the impact a new processor would have on my current install. I am retired, and I certainly do not have a lot of money to throw around. I simply took advantage of a situation and got the processor I wanted for a good price. My question was not about whether my first gen would upgrade or not at final release; Microsoft has stated emphatically that the processor requirements are a 'hard floor' and will not change. I am active in the developer and insider forums, and there is not a glimmer of hope that the processor requirements will change. Perhaps they may, but since I found a pretty good deal on a processor that will give me a seamless path to final, I went with it.
Swapping in a new CPU, on the same motherboard, will almost certainly not incur any OS operational issues.

Windows has stated repeatedly that the final version will not install on first gen Ryzen CPU's, even though the insider channel did install it on my computer, and the fact that Windows 11 runs as well as if not better than 10 did. Microsoft said that they do not anticipate changing the hardware requirements, so that would mean that the final public release version would not install on my computer.
I think a lot of this may be reaction to hardware requirements of the past that made people upset--win95 can run on 4MB of ram, win2k will be fine with 16MB, etc.

The only way I can see the final release not working is if actual cpu instructions that are required are missing. But there is a huge business case here for not forcing the entire world to upgrade to new hardware overnight as in the current situation, it would cause a lot of people to just stay on 10, which is not what MS wants.

My question is this: if I replace the processor, will that cause problems with my current OS installation?
I have done CPU upgrades without reinstalling. I think there's a few things to do first to improve the likelihood of trouble free success. First is to uninstall the AMD chipset drivers, then do a CMOS reset. Then disassemble, install new process, reassemble. Then with the new CPU in place do another CMOS reset before restarting.

Then restart into BIOS, find the setting to 'load BIOS default settings' and do that, then restart again back into BIOS. I'd run windows a while with default settings to see if everything's OK, after installing the latest chipset drivers again of course. Once you know it's OK then start in on customizations like enabling safe boot and fTPM. Actually, if your BIOS is recent to the last few weeks it probably enables those by default to be Windows11 ready.

Short of a clean install, and if things aren't behaving right (like Windows Update freaks out), then do a Repair Install with In-Place Upgrade. By treating it like an upgrade, even though it may be the same version level, it installs on top of the existing installation while keeping all apps and settings but replaces system files, services and registry entries with the right ones for the current hardware. It takes about as long as a clean install and you lose nothing...not even custom desktops.

Last edited: