Question upgrade cpu i5 8600k to i7 9700k

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
Would this upgrade improve game performance and maybe reduce fps drops in some games ?
My GPU is a gtx 1070 Ti . i have 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram and my motherboard is Asus PRIME Z370-P

also question about SSD. does the older (regular) SSD work fine or should i get a SSD m.2 ?
my current SSD disks are = Sandisk 480GB SSD Plus, 2.5", SATA III, 535/445 MB/s

The 2 extra cores of the Core i7 9700K should help with frame drops (for now and the close future until every game need more than 8 threads to play smoothly).

But it would be great if you had shared the games on which you have this issues.

Also the 32GB of RAM (which is more than enough for gaming), is this RAM like 2x16GB 3200 indetical sticks (or a kit of 2), 4x8GB DDR4 3200 indetical sticks (or a kit of 4), or is this RAM like 2x8GB from one brand and model and the other 2x8GB from another brand and model, or even worst, 1x16Gb stick and another 2x8GB sticks? The more detailed the info you write the better.

Finally, about he SSD, if its in good health it should be ok, I been using the same SATA SSD for many years now and, thanks God, no problems soo far.
You can download crystal disk info (from here: https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/crystaldiskinfo_portable, or from wherever you feel confortable) and run it, once you have the app open, it will show the health state of the drive (if you have more than 1 drive be sure to pick the SSD you wana check).

Cheers.

Edited:
Found out the developer website actually also offer a (wasn't the case some time ago) "portable" version: https://crystalmark.info/en/download/

Reactions: shadowcat777

adam19255

Respectable
Dec 13, 2018
You won't see any difference in performance if you upgrade the CPU, maybe you would see less fps drops but I am not sure about that either, if you want more performance you should buy a 2070s or 5700XT, I recommend the 5700XT: https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Thicc-20...c59036a5a3aa69bf446b95960e0860&language=en_US

For the SSD it may be causing some problems with the fps because the SanDisk is a dramless SSD if you have the budget I recommend going with samsung(evo/pro) /crucial (mx)/seagate SSDs, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPRK6K...a1718901ec84e9f06ddf3163b49621&language=en_US

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
The 2 extra cores of the Core i7 9700K should help with frame drops (for now and the close future until every game need more than 8 threads to play smoothly).

But it would be great if you had shared the games on which you have this issues.

Also the 32GB of RAM (which is more than enough for gaming), is this RAM like 2x16GB 3200 indetical sticks (or a kit of 2), 4x8GB DDR4 3200 indetical sticks (or a kit of 4), or is this RAM like 2x8GB from one brand and model and the other 2x8GB from another brand and model, or even worst, 1x16Gb stick and another 2x8GB sticks? The more detailed the info you write the better.

Finally, about he SSD, if its in good health it should be ok, I been using the same SATA SSD for many years now and, thanks God, no problems soo far.
You can download crystal disk info (from here: https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/crystaldiskinfo_portable, or from wherever you feel confortable) and run it, once you have the app open, it will show the health state of the drive (if you have more than 1 drive be sure to pick the SSD you wana check).

Cheers.

Edited:
Found out the developer website actually also offer a (wasn't the case some time ago) "portable" version: https://crystalmark.info/en/download/
they are 2x16gb identical. i ve experienced drops in games like Rust, Legends of Aria, Project gorgon, Minecraft, Black dessert online. and games usually known also to have drops. games that however work smoothly are GTA V, Path of exile, Elder scrolls online, No more room in hell, Just Cause 3, etc. CS Go drops at beginning of the match and then usually it works fine. i saw that you said the SanDisk is OK but Adam said its not. so it might be better to upgrade both the CPU and the SSD ? i have 2 identical SSD and 1 HDD as well. i play games on the SSD.

added: I think i was wrong about my SSD. accordingly to Speccy this is what i have=
465GB Western Digital WDC WDS500G2B0A-00SM50
i checked it up so it is= WD 500GB, 3D NAND, 2.5" - SSD, Blue

So this should be OK too or do i need to upgrade the SSD as well?
//

Last edited:
they are 2x16gb identical. i ve experienced drops in games like Rust, Legends of Aria, Project gorgon, Minecraft, Black dessert online. and games usually known also to have drops. games that however work smoothly are GTA V, Path of exile, Elder scrolls online, No more room in hell, Just Cause 3, etc. CS Go drops at beginning of the match and then usually it works fine. i saw that you said the SanDisk is OK but Adam said its not. so it might be better to upgrade both the CPU and the SSD ? i have 2 identical SSD and 1 HDD as well. i play games on the SSD.

added: I think i was wrong about my SSD. accordingly to Speccy this is what i have=
465GB Western Digital WDC WDS500G2B0A-00SM50
i checked it up so it is= WD 500GB, 3D NAND, 2.5" - SSD, Blue

So this should be OK too or do i need to upgrade the SSD as well?
//

As I said, the only way an SSD will give you issues is if it have a problem (thats why I wrote donwload crystal disk info and check the health of all your drivers), of course SATA SSD are a bit slower than nvme ones, but even the very old and reliable budget friendly HDD, like the WD Blue, should not give you frame drops while playing unless your playing a game with a huge open map, and even so it should be a little drop when its loading the map and then it should be over.

Now, since you listed the games you play, I have another question: whats your gaming resolution and the max refresh rate of your monitor?

Im asking cause many of the games you listed are usually very large map games and so the frame drops could be related, as adam19255 wrote, to a lack of GPU power. Hence what he said about changing the GPU could make sense (now that we know what kind of games you play).

Even thought with your hardware I find it hard to have frame drops in minecraft, maybe you need to adjust down the graphical options like "render distance", in other games "field of view" and anisotropic filtering, shadows. I by turning down the likes the frame drops gets way better, then yeah, you may need to upgrade the GPU. Once again this also can be related of the resolution and refresh rate your trying to drive with your GTX 1070Ti

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
As I said, the only way an SSD will give you issues is if it have a problem (thats why I wrote donwload crystal disk info and check the health of all your drivers), of course SATA SSD are a bit slower than nvme ones, but even the very old and reliable budget friendly HDD, like the WD Blue, should not give you frame drops while playing unless your playing a game with a huge open map, and even so it should be a little drop when its loading the map and then it should be over.

Now, since you listed the games you play, I have another question: whats your gaming resolution and the max refresh rate of your monitor?

Im asking cause many of the games you listed are usually very large map games and so the frame drops could be related, as adam19255 wrote, to a lack of GPU power. Hence what he said about changing the GPU could make sense (now that we know what kind of games you play).

Even thought with your hardware I find it hard to have frame drops in minecraft, maybe you need to adjust down the graphical options like "render distance", in other games "field of view" and anisotropic filtering, shadows. I by turning down the likes the frame drops gets way better, then yeah, you may need to upgrade the GPU. Once again this also can be related of the resolution and refresh rate your trying to drive with your GTX 1070Ti
I use 1920x1080 resolution and sometimes vsync sometimes not. which usually works best.
i have a 165hz monitor.
Minecraft works OK after a while of building etc however i have experienced microdrops but the drops are very small.
i have run Userbenchmark and my SSD's has got good results of that. i dont think its the SSD.

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
Is there by any chances that it might be the PSU who is causing this?
i also noticed the "mouse lagg" again just recently. but it has been days since it has done it.
i tried to put the cable better into the pc and i thought that had fixed it.
i think this is related to the fps drops as well........

I use 1920x1080 resolution and sometimes vsync sometimes not. which usually works best.
i have a 165hz monitor.
Minecraft works OK after a while of building etc however i have experienced microdrops but the drops are very small.
i have run Userbenchmark and my SSD's has got good results of that. i dont think its the SSD.
Is there by any chances that it might be the PSU who is causing this?
i also noticed the "mouse lagg" again just recently. but it has been days since it has done it.
i tried to put the cable better into the pc and i thought that had fixed it.
i think this is related to the fps drops as well........
About the ssd health. accordingly to Speccy are all my drives "Status: Good"

Userbenchmarks is a useless piece of S"#$%, I never used Speccy it should be decent, but I never used it.

As for your PSU is imposible to know, after all you didn't share the brand and model of it.

Anyways since you talking about mouse lag, Im guessing this could also be a software issue.

Also your monitor is 1080p @ 165Hz (once again, we don't know brand and model), so does it have freezync or gsync?

When was the last time you did a clean install of Windows 10?

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
Userbenchmarks is a useless piece of S"#$%, I never used Speccy it should be decent, but I never used it.

As for your PSU is imposible to know, after all you didn't share the brand and model of it.

Anyways since you talking about mouse lag, Im guessing this could also be a software issue.

Also your monitor is 1080p @ 165Hz (once again, we don't know brand and model), so does it have freezync or gsync?

When was the last time you did a clean install of Windows 10?

PSU Corsair RMX 750X Modular 80 PLUS GOLD V2
AOC Monitor with freesync and gsync (but i dont use gsync activated.) 165hz. (It is not the monitor.)
I did a clean install of windows a couple weeks ago. mouse lag before and after that as well.
this PC is almost 2 years old. the pc also make some noise (not very loud.) which might be the PSU as well

Last edited:
Well, you have a nvida card and a gsync capable monitor, I will suggest you open nvidia control panel enable gsync, I do not know if the control panel already has an option to cap the refresh rate, but if it does I would set it to 120Hz or even a bit less. I don't know how it goes from there since I never had anything higher than 60Hz display (3rd world country with very expensive computer parts access - you know super high taxes).

I know you can cap the refresh rate in most games.

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
OK i tried with g sync and its alot smoother now (which i had forgot g sync did.)
it didnt fix the lag problem though. neither did to put 120hz too so im back to 165hz.
a video on youtube recommended that g sync shouldnt be activated

Last edited:

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
i have noticed that games that doesnt use much of the GPU usage while playing works alot better than games that has higher GPU usage (task manager.) so might this be also a clue that it might be the PSU?
another problem is also when i move around the mouse on the desktop it uses up to 14% of the cpu usage

Last edited:
i have noticed that games that doesnt use much of the GPU usage while playing works alot better than games that has higher GPU usage (task manager.) so might this be also a clue that it might be the PSU?
another problem is also when i move around the mouse on the desktop it uses up to 14% of the cpu usage

wow, thats a lot of CPU usage, do you have some kind of gaming mouse with drivers installed?

When I move my mouse aroudn inthe desktop, the CPU usage never moves from 2~5% use (depending on which backgroud service is doing crap on the background), I mean, actually it doesn't affect the CPU usage at all..

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
wow, thats a lot of CPU usage, do you have some kind of gaming mouse with drivers installed?

When I move my mouse aroudn inthe desktop, the CPU usage never moves from 2~5% use (depending on which backgroud service is doing crap on the background), I mean, actually it doesn't affect the CPU usage at all..
i have a MX 518. i dont use the logitech program cause it caused some problems ingame with the lights of my keyboard.
about the GPU usage when low games perform better, is that a sign that there might be some problem with my PSU? do you think it is worth to buy and upgrade into a new PSU..?
about the fps drop in Rust. sometimes especially at beginning of ingame. but usually now and then it drops. it can go over 15minutes also without any drop. and sometimes it also depends on how many players online

Multiplayer games are a lottery, and remember with the human malware the worl dis having a huge internet demand thats not suaul this high, so really online multiplayer games at this pointof time are not a good indicator.

As for the PSU, I usedsome of my PSU for over 7 years without a single problem, some of them of really budget brands. The PSU you have is more than enough for your system. Can it be the problem, maybe, imposible to know from here.

What I would do, and Im a little lost, cause this has been long, is download something like MSIAfterburner, shut down every other monitoring programyou have, and use the OSD of the MSIAfterburner to keep an eye on your CPU and GPU temps while playing.

Your FPS drops can also be realted to high temp, Im not sure if you cleanned the inside of your case from dust, hair and what not. Specially all the heatsinks. There hundreds of videos that shows you how to properly clean inside a PC, but first, use some monitoring software to check the temps.

After playing for 20~30 mins, If everything is ok, you shouldn't see your CPU going any higher than 80°C (unless you have a very crappy cpu cooler, or its not well mounted, or is having some issues) and the GPU should also be under 80°C.

Then again, using an online-multiplayer game as a way to know if a problem like FPS drops or spikes is fixed, is not the best idea, specially, not right now.

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
Multiplayer games are a lottery, and remember with the human malware the worl dis having a huge internet demand thats not suaul this high, so really online multiplayer games at this pointof time are not a good indicator.

As for the PSU, I usedsome of my PSU for over 7 years without a single problem, some of them of really budget brands. The PSU you have is more than enough for your system. Can it be the problem, maybe, imposible to know from here.

What I would do, and Im a little lost, cause this has been long, is download something like MSIAfterburner, shut down every other monitoring programyou have, and use the OSD of the MSIAfterburner to keep an eye on your CPU and GPU temps while playing.

Your FPS drops can also be realted to high temp, Im not sure if you cleanned the inside of your case from dust, hair and what not. Specially all the heatsinks. There hundreds of videos that shows you how to properly clean inside a PC, but first, use some monitoring software to check the temps.

After playing for 20~30 mins, If everything is ok, you shouldn't see your CPU going any higher than 80°C (unless you have a very crappy cpu cooler, or its not well mounted, or is having some issues) and the GPU should also be under 80°C.

Then again, using an online-multiplayer game as a way to know if a problem like FPS drops or spikes is fixed, is not the best idea, specially, not right now.
i have checked the temps before and they are OK.
currently also the "mouse lag." is very annoying.........

added: I tested Rust with Speccy and my temps are about CPU=57-60. and GPU=63
after a while of playing. after some more time the GPU is at 65 and CPU the same (57-60)
and after that no change.......

Last edited: