Upgrade CPU + Mobo or GPU

Aug 22, 2018
Hi all,

As the title said. I'm a little bit confuse right now. My gaming rig is old, and I'm thinking for upgrade. But my budget is limited.
So I'm thinking about partial upgrade. The problem is, I don't know which part that should I upgrade first

That said, my rig parts is :
CPU : A10 5800K
MOBO : MSI A55M E33
GPU : ASUS DUAL OC RX 460 2GB
PSU : BE QUIET PURE POWER 10 400W
RAM : HYPER FURY X DDR3 2X4GB
SSD : HYPER FURY X 240GB
HDD : Old Seagate 500GB & 320GB

First come in my mind is upgrading the CPU + Mobo + RAM. My choice is :
CPU : Ryzen 3 1200 ($90)
MOBO : MSI B350M PRO VH PLUS ($74)
RAM : VGEN TSUNAMI DDR 4 2X4 GB 3200MHZ ($94)

or

I can just upgrade my GPU only. The choice is :
GPU : MSI GTX 1060 3GB OC ($222) or MSI RX 570 GAMING X 4GB ($311)

Can anyone give me some advice. Which one is I should upgrade first?
Oh and my case is crappy too, I manage to find corsair carbide air 240 for around $85 ish. Is it good deal or not? I really love that case.

And I uh.... Live in Indonesia, so yeah I convert the price from INR to USD.

Thank you.

Solution
The 2200g & 2400g will absolutely not match a discrete rx 460.

Good,choice,for,someone,budget limited who doesn't have a gpu but in your case fairly pointless.

At the minute your,cpu & gpu are fairly well balanced.

A singular upgrade on either side (rather than both) will introduce a fairly large bottleneck

If prob beer towards the cpu, board, ram upgrade first though in all honesty.

A cpu bottleneck /limitation is impossible work around, whereas graphics settings/resolution can always be lowered to gain fps.

A quick check for gpu bottlenecking is simply to drop resolution down to 720p & graphics settings to low in-game.

With a 460 whatever fps you get doing above shows the limitation of your current cpu.

If fps is acceptable...

what kind of "IMPROVEMENT" you want ?

ryzen intergrated GPU inside 2200G will yeld similar performance to GTX 460. its best choice for you (~10$ more than 1200 ~95$)
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-460-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-8-Ryzen-iGPU/2167vsm441833
if you squeeze and go for ryzen 5 2400G you will get BOTH gaming performance improvment and much better CPU. (~50$) more.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-460-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU/2167vsm401440

check out WHAT you want to gain, and go precisely for it, improve for improving always end up dissapointing....
if you want new upgradable platform -> ryzen 3 2200G.
if you want more FPS out of the box -> ryzen 5 2400G

Aug 22, 2018
Thanks for the advices.

But if you ask about what kind of improvement that I seek, well... let's just say I want to play some game with smooth FPS, and for starter I will not doing OCing for the CPU (or APU). But maybe later I will, that is why I pick Mobo with B350 chipset.

Back to the topic, I already had discrete GPU (RX 460), isn't using the 2200G or 2400G defeat the purpose having the discrete GPU? And yeah, I wiil use discrete GPU, and I will upgrade that RX 460 someday.

I don't know how much powerful the iGPU on both 2200G or 2400G, so can you enlight me about that.

Also with R3 2200G and R5 2500G with iGPU compare too R3 1200 + RX 460, which one is more powerful for gaming?

The 2200g & 2400g will absolutely not match a discrete rx 460.

Good,choice,for,someone,budget limited who doesn't have a gpu but in your case fairly pointless.

At the minute your,cpu & gpu are fairly well balanced.

A singular upgrade on either side (rather than both) will introduce a fairly large bottleneck

If prob beer towards the cpu, board, ram upgrade first though in all honesty.

A cpu bottleneck /limitation is impossible work around, whereas graphics settings/resolution can always be lowered to gain fps.

A quick check for gpu bottlenecking is simply to drop resolution down to 720p & graphics settings to low in-game.

With a 460 whatever fps you get doing above shows the limitation of your current cpu.

If fps is acceptable to you then a gpu upgrade makes sense to gain the same fps at a higher resolution at higher settings.

If fps is unacceptable still then a cpu upgrade makes sense.

Solution