[SOLVED] Upgrade CPU, MOBO, PSU, RAM

Reiten

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005
Approximate Purchase Date: By January (i.e., when I can find good sales)

Budget Range: Flexible, under $1000 and ideally lower. I usually shop a generation old on things like GPU and CPU to save $$$ since I don't need cutting edge.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Work and gaming (but usually not the most recent generation of high end games and certainly not competitive) Due to living space requirements, I appreciate a quiet machine and nothing flashy. I do need a bunch of SATA connections for multiple large capacity internal HDDs that I use for work (4 outside of my system SSD and Document/Download/etc. high speed HDD).

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: I built my machine 7 years ago and the following are all original. Others have been upgraded and I'm fine with them for now. I want the speed boost and capacity of more RAM and and a newer processor, plus am concerned about the age of the parts.
Currently looking to upgrade:
CPU: Intel i5 4430. I plan to upgrade to an AMD 5 Ryzen 3600X.
MOBO: ASUS H87-PRO LGA 1150R (will upgrade)
PSU: Corsair CX600M (will upgrade)
RAM: Crucial Ballistic (4GBx2) (will upgrade)

Below are current, but upgraded within the last 3 years.
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1050Ti (keeping for another year or so)
System and game SSD: Samsung EVO 850 500GB (possible upgrade)
Doc/Download HDD: WD Black 2TB (update in another year or two)
4 high capacity HDD. (updated every 5 years or so for safety)

I might be willing to upgrade my current Fractal Define R4 case to an R6 or R7 if people think it worthwhile.

Do you need to buy OS: No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
I usually use Amazon or Newegg, but I'm flexible.

Location: Within driving distance of NYC, but likely shopping online (see: pandemic)

Parts Preferences: Biggest question mark for me is the MOBO. So many options that I'm not sure where to go.
I plan to upgrade to an AMD 5 Ryzen 3600X.
I need a MOBO with ample SATA connections. Don't need wifi. Bluetooth a bonus, but not necessary. USB-C desirable, but not a deal breaker. I prefer quiet and don't want or need LEDs, etc.
RAM will probably be 16GB, unless there's a compelling reason and deal to go higher.
PSU - reliable with ample power to help keep things quiet

Might add a better CPU cooler than comes with the AMD processor, especially if it would reduce the noise and temp (looking at an Artic 34)

At some point, I'll want to upgrade the SSD to a 1TB M.2 SSD. If the price is right, possibly sooner rather than later since 500GB for system and games is a little tight. So a MOBO where this doesn't eat SATA connections I need for the HDD.

Open to idea of upgrading case to a Fractal Design Define 7 if that's significantly better for the build and sound.

Overclocking: Probably not

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 3440x1440

Additional Comments: I like a quiet computer and won't use any LED lighting, etc. I do want a MOBO with lots of SATA connection capacity for the work data HDD, but won't use wifi. I can figure out most things, but I'm a little over my head in figuring out the best MOBO, so that's the biggest question I have. I'm mostly asking since I don't fully understand how the M.2 SSD interact with the SATA connections.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Core parts are getting pretty old (7 years this month) and I need a computer with more modern capacity.

Solution
Since it sounds like you aren't going to upgrade the GPU right now, you are actually able to get a nice system for the budget. Here is what I would recommend.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($304.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 WIFI ax ATX AM4 Motherboard ($177.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Mushkin Pilot-E 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case ($102.98 @ Newegg)...
Since it sounds like you aren't going to upgrade the GPU right now, you are actually able to get a nice system for the budget. Here is what I would recommend.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($304.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 WIFI ax ATX AM4 Motherboard ($177.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Mushkin Pilot-E 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 660 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $980.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-16 22:33 EST-0500

The lack of GPU allows for a better CPU, 32GB RAM, and an 80+ Platinum PSU. The Define 7 is a good and quiet case with 3 fans and lots of space for storage. The be Quiet Shadow Rock 3 has as good or better performance than the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo and is quieter as well.

Solution
Thanks for the reply and suggestions! Appreciate them.
If a 3600/X is enough CPU for you, then you could use the savings to get a 2TB SSD instead.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Pilot-E 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 660 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1005.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-18 11:26 EST-0500

Reactions: Reiten