[SOLVED] Upgrade CPU on old HTPC?

BoulderBill

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2013
Hi, I built a home theater PC setup several years ago but stopped using it and it's been on the shelf for a long time. Now I have a need for a workstation-type setup and I'm trying to figure out if I can upgrade the CPU on this machine to serve the purpose: churning through time-intensive Excel VBA junk.

Here's what I have:
MB = FM2A75 Pro4-M
CPU = AMD A8-5500 APU w/ Radeon HD Graphics

I used to know a lot more about this stuff, but just trying to get my head wrapped around it all again. Thanks in advance for any input/advice!

Cheers.

Solution
I'd not throw more money into any FM2-based systems...

If it is not really usable as is, time to build new.

You can probably find some pretty reasonably priced R5-3400G/B450 mainboards these days; coupled with at least a 16 GB kit of 3200 MHz RAM (2 x 8 GB) will b e the essentials, assuming your PSU is of of good quality, and existing drives are adequate. (If drive is small/old, you may choose between a new NVME drive or reutilizing an older SSD)
I'd not throw more money into any FM2-based systems...

If it is not really usable as is, time to build new.

You can probably find some pretty reasonably priced R5-3400G/B450 mainboards these days; coupled with at least a 16 GB kit of 3200 MHz RAM (2 x 8 GB) will b e the essentials, assuming your PSU is of of good quality, and existing drives are adequate. (If drive is small/old, you may choose between a new NVME drive or reutilizing an older SSD)

Solution