Question Upgrade CPU or buy a 1440p monitor ?

Privates

Commendable
Mar 1, 2020
Hi,

I'm currently using Ryzen 2600 paired with an RTX 3060 Ti with a 1080p monitor. I'm noticing weird usage on both cpu and gpu while gaming, most of my game will get around 60-70 gpu usage while cpu usage 70-80. So in short my cpu usage is higher than gpu usage. Is this called bottleneck?

I'm doing my own reading and it's says if im using higher monitor like 1440p it will let's say less weird. So i'm using virtual 1440p monitor using nvidia panel and it's true. Now most of my game will have around 90-100 gpu usage while cpu usage around 40-50.

Now i have put some money aside for upgrade, but need scond opinions, should i uprading my cpu to ryzen 5600 (considering i'm using b450 and it still support for ryzen 5000) or should i buy 1440p monitor? And keep in mind i think this will be my last upgrading since i'm too old to keep up with upgrading my pc nor i'm too old to playing games. Lol. I don't know maybe my son will continuing it.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
A budget for your upgrade path/expenditure would help us two fold.

As for your existing system, perhaps a BIOS update is pending on your platform whereby you're going to see some uplift in performance or that your drivers need a reinstall.

most of my game will get around 60-70 gpu usage while cpu usage 70-80. So in short my cpu usage is higher than gpu usage. Is this called bottleneck?
If your playing with an unlocked frame rate for example, and your GPU is not running at or near 100% then yes that would mean you have a CPU bottleneck.

If however you have a 1080p 60hz display, your playing with a locked 60 FPS and your getting a consistent 60FPS but neither the GPU or CPU are maxed out then that doesn't indicate a problem. I would say the 3060 Ti is a little on the heavy side for a Ryzen 5 2600. Cyberpunk for example would struggle a little on the 2600, that's certainly a game where you could tell the difference between a 2600 and 5600 even at 1080p 60hz.

We need to know more about what your situation such as the refresh rate of your monitor and whether your playing with a capped frame rate or vsync.

The important thing for me would be are you getting the performance you need. What I wouldn't do is get a 1440p 60hz display for the sole purpose of pushing your GPU usage up to 100%.

I'm noticing weird usage on both cpu and gpu while gaming, most of my game will get around 60-70 gpu usage while cpu usage 70-80.
So in short my cpu usage is higher than gpu usage. Is this called bottleneck?
Why is that weird?
No, it is not bottleneck.

Bottleneck would be, when one component is loaded at 100% and other component loaded at low percentage.
This means, the other component could provide higher performance, but first component (100% usage) is the limiting factor.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I would upgrade the CPU it will help gaming a lot at 1080P. Also it will help ALL other tasks you do the computer.

If you upgrade monitors your computer is no faster, however your gaming will be "much" slower and less FPS, and less of a good experience.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: GarrettL
Are you happy with your gaming experience? If yes then no need to spend money.

Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless. You can be cpu limited even when total cpu usage is less than 100%, it only takes 1 core/thread at close to 100% while others are still lower to limit performance.

Without the information Lutfij asked for we cannot make any recommendations, there might be other things to consider before buying and upgrade.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
If you upgrade monitors your computer is no faster, however your gaming will be "much" slower and less FPS, and less of a good experience.
Not correct. The OP said they are only using 60-70% of the gpu. To achieve the same fps at a higher resolution only increases the gpu load. It’s quite possible the OP could achieve similar fps at a higher resolution by fully utilising their gpu.