Question Upgrade CPU or Buy a gaming monitor?

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
Hey all, the time has come for me to decide to upgrade my pc or upgrade my monitor.

My specs atm:
I7 6700K
16GB ddr4
Z170X
EVGA GTX 1080ti
Acer Predator Z35P 3440x1440

I am considering buying a I7 9700K mobo/cpu/ram and use my existing case and gpu/psu

Or buy a 144hz 1440P monitor or a 4K monitor

What would you prioritize ? Looking to buy for Cyber Monday, budget is about $600ish Thanks

That's more of a personal preference sort of thing. Anyways, the Acer Predator Z35P is still an excellent gaming monitor. If this was some 1920x1080 60hz monitor. I'd say do the monitor first. But it isn't. It's a 3440x1440 120hz display. I don't see anything in the $600 range which would compete. There is a 144hz 4K display for $700. You'd lose the immersion of ultra wide and gain some detail improvements. I just couldn't see it being worthwhile.

The 9700K will give you some FPS boost. If you are already overclocking. I'd expect that boost to be minor except in the few heavily multi-threaded games.

Of the two. I'd probably pick the CPU. Although I'd say just save the money until after the next gen consoles come out. Thus next gen game ports. To see what you'll really need to invest in for the next generation of gaming. That or just get a bunch of SSD storage if you haven't already. SSD have a huge impact in load times.

Reactions: gameoverman2016

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
I'm confused, you already own the Acer Z35P? Why would you upgrade from that?

I love the monitor, but I am not happy with the colors. I thought it would be more vibrant, more "popping" Like a show room model or how your cellphone colors are so rich. When side by side with my Hp 23es, the colors, while better looking than the 1920x1080, is more because its crisper, that 1440p. The colors are just a wee bit better, I want something that is jaw dropping UHD type amazing. From what I am seeing, I need either 4k, HDR or Oled/qled? I am a newb to monitors lol

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
That's more of a personal preference sort of thing. Anyways, the Acer Predator Z35P is still an excellent gaming monitor. If this was some 1920x1080 60hz monitor. I'd say do the monitor first. But it isn't. It's a 3440x1440 120hz display. I don't see anything in the $600 range which would compete. There is a 144hz 4K display for $700. You'd lose the immersion of ultra wide and gain some detail improvements. I just couldn't see it being worthwhile.

The 9700K will give you some FPS boost. If you are already overclocking. I'd expect that boost to be minor except in the few heavily multi-threaded games.

Of the two. I'd probably pick the CPU. Although I'd say just save the money until after the next gen consoles come out. Thus next gen game ports. To see what you'll really need to invest in for the next generation of gaming. That or just get a bunch of SSD storage if you haven't already. SSD have a huge impact in load times.

I havent overclocked. Always afraid I'd break the cpu. The only time I ever tried I got bsod, and decided ocing wasnt for me

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
I'm solidly in the "wait till next year" camp on just about everything (CPUs and GPUs). And I NEED an upgrade. For you, I'd agree to wait.

Have you looked into color calibrating your monitor?

Not really sure how that works, aside from buying a tool that I would use once, which seems a bit of a waste. I have tried downloading a ICC Profile, tried eyeballing it, just doesnt seem all that impressive. I want something that really looks amazing, and I am thinking what I need is 4k, but not sure

TRENDING THREADS