[SOLVED] Upgrade CPU or buy a new Motherboard and CPU

May 5, 2020
I have an i5-7600k, and recently my CPU usages have been at 100% on task manager when playing most video games (ex. Fortnite or Modern Warfare). I was looking at related threads to see what the problem was and a few people said that it was due to my CPU only having 4 cores when the game relies on more. Ideally, I would like to just buy an i7-6700k and fix my problem but I'm not sure if it will work. Also, my motherboard only supports quad-core, so should I invest in an i7, or a new motherboard and a CPU with more cores? Any advice or help would be great! I'm also a little dumb with PC stuff so I don't know any better.

Specs:
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
CPU: i5-7600k
MotherB: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151

Solution
Your current i5-7600 has 4 threads and a passmark rating of 6630 and a single thread rating of 2461
The strongest processor that your motherboard will support is a i7-7700K
It has 8 threads and a rating of 9796/2771.
It sells on ebay for about $300.

Anything stronger and you will also need a new motherboard and possibly ddr4 ram if you go with ryzen.

Then, also, Intel is scheduled to release new motherboards and processors to better compete with ryzen.
If you will buy new, I would wait a few weeks.
I just want to play video games without lagging and I'm 99% sure its a CPU problem. I just don't know what to do
since more cores on intels cpus require more money i would suggest this upgrade.
Buy Ryzen 1600,2600,3600 (see what fits your budget the most)
For the 1600 and 2600 buy ASRock AB350M PRO4 MicroATX,for the 3600 buy MSI B450 TOMAHAWK (trust me this board is straight up made for 3600).
Ryzen cpus require faster ram.I would suggest the speed of 3200Mhz at least and the capacity of 16gb since the 8gb is sooner or later gonna become the bare minimum you will need to run future games.You said you pla MW and you know that game requires 8gb at least to run it.If you buy a intels cpu with more cores it will cost you the same as the ryzen upgrade i suggested.

Also if you are going for the 1gen ryzen 5 it is better to go with the AF version

May 5, 2020
since more cores on intels cpus require more money i would suggest this upgrade.
Buy Ryzen 1600,2600,3600 (see what fits your budget the most)
For the 1600 and 2600 buy ASRock AB350M PRO4 MicroATX,for the 3600 buy MSI B450 TOMAHAWK (trust me this board is straight up made for 3600).
Ryzen cpus require faster ram.I would suggest the speed of 3200Mhz at least and the capacity of 16gb since the 8gb is sooner or later gonna become the bare minimum you will need to run future games.You said you pla MW and you know that game requires 8gb at least to run it.If you buy a intels cpu with more cores it will cost you the same as the ryzen upgrade i suggested.

Also if you are going for the 1gen ryzen 5 it is better to go with the AF version

Ok, thanks for the in-depth advice! Honestly, I have no knowledge of Computer parts. I built my current PC but that was a couple of years ago and I don't know the difference between parts. I don't know if I'm gonna follow your advice, I'll have to look into it but thanks for the reply!

Ok, thanks for the in-depth advice! Honestly, I have no knowledge of Computer parts. I built my current PC but that was a couple of years ago and I don't know the difference between parts. I don't know if I'm gonna follow your advice, I'll have to look into it but thanks for the reply!
no problem,im sure most of the people will say the same thing which is switch for ryzen.

Reactions: TheTwitchyEye
May 5, 2020
no problem,im sure most of the people will say the same thing which is switch for ryzen.
I was just looking on PC part picker, it says my Cooler Master Hyper 212 may have a mounting adapter error on the TOMAHAWK. Can you confirm or deny if it'll fit fine? I'm guessing it will because the mount is changeable but I want to make sure before I buy anything.

Last edited:
I was just looking on PC part picker, it says my Cooler Master Hyper 212 may have a mounting adapter error on the TOMAHAWK. Can you confirm or deny if it'll fit fine? I'm guessing it will because the mount is changeable but I want to make sure before I buy anything.
i mean the cooler is made for AM4 socket,so there shouldnt be a problem there.The only possible problem is that the cooler is to high for the case

Reactions: TheTwitchyEye
May 5, 2020
i mean the cooler is made for AM4 socket,so there shouldnt be a problem there.The only possible problem is that the cooler is to high for the case
Also you mentioned the 3600 and I see that it is a very recommended processor but it only has 6 cores. Is that fine? Is the difference between 6 and 8 cores significant? Is the Ryzen 3700x a lot better or only a little better? Is it just the price difference is the biggest thing between the two? And you are a bunch of help btw! I would not have any idea without your help!

Reactions: Dj0gany
Your current i5-7600 has 4 threads and a passmark rating of 6630 and a single thread rating of 2461

Anything stronger and you will also need a new motherboard and possibly ddr4 ram if you go with ryzen.

Then, also, Intel is scheduled to release new motherboards and processors to better compete with ryzen.

Solution

i like your suggestion,but do you know when exactly will the 10th gen come+are you sure it is worthsince i quess he has a budget?