[SOLVED] Upgrade CPU or GPU first? Currently: i5 4690K @ 4.3Ghz and RX 580 8GB

Sep 7, 2019
Hello,

Having a difficult time determining which would be more advantageous to upgrade first: CPU or GPU?

Currently:
i5 4690K @ 4.3 GHz
16gb DDR3
Radeon RX 580 8gb 1340/2000 MHz
Acer XG270HU @ 2560x1440 and 144Hz

Games I play include Tom Clancy's The Division 2, the Borderlands series, Fortnite, and a smattering of other titles. Checking the usage, seems the CPU is at 100% for all titles except Borderlands where it sits at 60-70% and the GPU is at 100%. For all other titles, the GPU usage varies, but generally 70-90% when at mid to high graphics settings. From these numbers, seems CPU should be my first upgrade. Does these numbers seem to line up with everyone else's experience of these particular components? Just checking in case there is something I'm missing.

If I were to upgrade, I'm mainly considering Ryzen 5 3600 or better and probably eventually upgrading GPU to RX 5700 or better. Solid plan?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yes. That seems appropriate and pretty accurate as far as the assessment is concerned. You're definitely lacking enough graphics power at 1440p with an RX 580 and your CPU is definitely not capable enough for a bigger card. Which you do first is up to you, but I'd probably upgrade the CPU and platform first. I assume you are aware that means you'll need a new CPU, motherboard AND memory, since you're current platform uses DDR3 and you'll need DDR4 for any current or recent platform.
Yes. That seems appropriate and pretty accurate as far as the assessment is concerned. You're definitely lacking enough graphics power at 1440p with an RX 580 and your CPU is definitely not capable enough for a bigger card. Which you do first is up to you, but I'd probably upgrade the CPU and platform first. I assume you are aware that means you'll need a new CPU, motherboard AND memory, since you're current platform uses DDR3 and you'll need DDR4 for any current or recent platform.

Solution