Upgrade CPU or GPU first

vinylpusher

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Hello,

At the moment I have an i7 3770 and an Rx480 8gb sapphire.

Will upgrading my CPU to something like a Ryzen 5 1600 or a newer i5 make much difference in gaming?

It will mean new motherboard, new ram, new CPU.

I’m looking also at going to 1080 graphics card.

My point is, due to budget. do I buy the 1080 and put it with my i7 3770? And try to keep my CPU board and ram going a bit longer?

Or do I upgrade RAM motherboard and CPU and keep my RX 480 then upgrade to the 1080 when I have a bit more money?.

What will I see the most benefit out of at the moment?

I will be playing Evil within 2, Need for speed payback, call of duty WWII and resident evil 7 games.

Thanks

Solution
Coffee lake is out now, I'm hearing rumors of new Zen chips coming around February. The 480 is a good card also, and the i7 you have is old, but not a dog. I would hold out and wait for reviews on Ryzen 2 chips then you can compare where you are vs potential performance of that or of Coffee Lake.

vinylpusher

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Only have a 1080p 24” monitor.

I’m looking at getting a VR headset for Christmas with the upcoming resident evil 7 supporting it next year and want to run it smoothly.

I can run resident evil 7 at 1080 on ultra at 60fps. Will VR take up much more resource?

I am also looking at moving to a 1440 or 4K monitor over time. So just looking at upgrading now but wondering what I would see the benefit of at the moment.

I guess probably neither at the moment until it’s all paired together?.

I’d be happy for the moment if I could push a little extra out my GfX card haha

Coffee lake is out now, I'm hearing rumors of new Zen chips coming around February. The 480 is a good card also, and the i7 you have is old, but not a dog. I would hold out and wait for reviews on Ryzen 2 chips then you can compare where you are vs potential performance of that or of Coffee Lake.

Solution