[SOLVED] Upgrade cpu or gpu for constant 144fps

Aug 27, 2019
Hi, I was wondering if I should get a new cpu or gpu first depending on which one would help me run at 144hz on med to high settings, or low if that means itll be steady. (or if both is the best option
I can hit 144fps sometimes steady on my build now on games like overwatch and other esports games but not games like bl2 or other triple a's when alot is going on on screen and I plan on upgrading solely for a better bl3
experience.

My parts and monitor are:

Gpu: 4095MB GeForce GTX 970
Cpu: Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Ram: 8Gb
monitor : asus vg248qe 24" 1080p 144hz
mobo: Z97-AR (SOCKET 1150)
storages: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SSD), WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 (1tb hdd)

I was considering getting gtx 1060 6gb/rx 580/rx480 or getting a i7 4790k 4ghz i plan on getting both a gpu and cpu eventually, then upgrading all together
maybe next year but for now I just want suggestions on getting steady 144fps. thank you. Also should I get another 8 gb of memory if its necessary?

Also, i dont know my psu cause my pc was built when I didnt know much about pcs and just bought it but I can figure out if its necessary.

Last edited:
Solution
GTX1060/RX580/RX480 aren't much of an improvement over your GTX970. As in, basically zero for intents-and-purposes, except for the whole GTX970 3.5GB effective VRAM debacle, which, meh.

Honestly...overclock your CPU to ~4.3GHz all-core and ride it out until you can afford a full-on CPU+mobo+RAM upgrade. It's just as simple as going into your BIOS and setting the all-core multiplier to 43. Leave everything else on auto.
GTX1060/RX580/RX480 aren't much of an improvement over your GTX970. As in, basically zero for intents-and-purposes, except for the whole GTX970 3.5GB effective VRAM debacle, which, meh.

Honestly...overclock your CPU to ~4.3GHz all-core and ride it out until you can afford a full-on CPU+mobo+RAM upgrade. It's just as simple as going into your BIOS and setting the all-core multiplier to 43. Leave everything else on auto.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 27, 2019

dont upgrade my cpu either just oc it?

I would definitely try just the overclock first, as long as the cooler you have is up to it.

The 1060/580/480, like said, are all basically equal to what you have now. So it's more of a sidegrade than upgrade. Its newer tech, but the performance doesn't justify the cost.

If you were going to grab a new GPU, I'd think you'd want at least a 1660ti or better.

As far as CPU, the new ryzen chips look really good. If you can find a set of matching 16gb ram, it may help, but I'd also hold off on that until you can do a full system upgrade.