shyam.mora

Honorable
Aug 19, 2017
I am confused if I should upgrade my CPU or GPU. I have an Asus H110M-K + i5-6400 + GTX 1060 3GB + 16gb RAM + 500Gb SSD. Everything is fine with both for gaming but for a couple of games like Forza Horizon 4 or most of the latest games I have to set the graphic setting to Medium or Low to get a good FPS. Forza Horizon 4 should be on low to play the game without low memory error. I have the below upgrade options.

1. Upgrade CPU to i5 8th gen with new processor and motherboard
  2. Upgrade GPU to a GTX1660ti (Planned for 1070 but seems too expensive here in India)

Please suggest.

Solution
You are right on the limit where both CPU and GPU upgrade would be a good bet. However, in your case i'd say go with the GPU upgrade first. It will give you the greatest bump in FPS and with extra vram will allow you to up the in game settings. The CPU will then begin to hold you back in a lot of games like Forza 4/BF V, as they can be CPU demanding.
You are right on the limit where both CPU and GPU upgrade would be a good bet. However, in your case i'd say go with the GPU upgrade first. It will give you the greatest bump in FPS and with extra vram will allow you to up the in game settings. The CPU will then begin to hold you back in a lot of games like Forza 4/BF V, as they can be CPU demanding.

Reactions: shyam.mora
Solution

shyam.mora

Honorable
Aug 19, 2017
When you say CPU will hold back, will there be any significant improvement over my current 1060 3GB or will the performance be the same ?
And I have a 450W PSU right now. Should I upgrade the PSU or any other components for the 1660ti's compatability ?