[SOLVED] Upgrade CPU or is it not the issue?

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
I play mostly warzone and COD on my pc. Most games have been alright to play, I usually cap my games to 60 because I can't run a consistent 144 (1080p). Anyways,

I5-6600k
MSI M5 motherboard
32 GB Gskill Ram
Asus GTX 1070 8GB
250 GB SSD
1TB HD

PC never runs hot so I know its not over working itself. I just have such a hard time maintaining smooth efortless gameplay in warzone, specifically. Now over the last week or so I have noticed other application starting to slow down as well, things aren't buttery smooth. I have had this setup for 4 years now. I personally think my cpu is holding back my pc. There is no way the 1070 is "old" yet. What do you guys recommend? New Motherboard and CPU? Just new CPU? Or do I have other isues?

Last edited:
Solution
Vsync, adaptive Vsync, freesync only applies to below monitor refresh. Doesn't limit fps outputs from the cpu at all.

Usage isn't how much of the cpu is used but how much resources it uses, a considerable difference. It takes a certain amount of time for a cpu to make a frame, it has to place objects, assign addresses, Ai, movement, vector analysis, colors, dimensions, field of view etc. The amount of frames fully completed and shipped to the gpu in 1 second is your fps. All of that is dependent on the game code, it's complexity, length of strings, cores assigned, IPC. You can have 100% of 2 cores packed and be fps output bottlenecked badly, even with only 60% usage. CSGO is a perfect example, it only uses 2 threads, so...

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
After doing some quick reasearch, I am really considering just swapping out the m5 for a b550 motherboard and the i5 for a ryzen 5600x, for future proof purposes.

Also no I am noticing graphic and audio glitches in the menus of COD. Things are flashing and blinking in the backround. I can't manage mroe than 25 fps in the menus and more than 55 fps in simple team deathmatch. Something is wrong... I tried re installin drivers and scanning and repairing the game.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For years the i5 was king for gaming. Cheaper than the i7 and good enough that fps was right behind, if not tied with its big brother.

But that was back when games were all 1-4 threads. This hasn't been the case since basically BF4 showed up and even the FX8350 got 2nd place, right on the heels of the i7-4790k, beating out the i5-4690k unless it was oc'd to the hills.

It's been a downhill slide for the i5's and quad core/thread cpus ever since. Even 6/6 cpus are barely hanging on, surviving solely on their higher IPC, but that's not going to last much longer.

Games are getting too realistic, too intensive, too demanding for low thread usage with very long code strings. Far easier, faster and more productive to split a long string into multiple short strings and get better fps as a result.

Right time to move away from an older i5? Always. Right time for you? Not so sure. DDR5 is right around the corner, AM5 socket, whatever Intel is planning to replace LGA1200 with, but figure all that is a year away or so.

If the gpu is good, performance stands a Very good shot at being much better with the 5600x. No more thread bottlenecks, higher IPC, more fps. Whether that's worth the price for cpu+mobo+ram upgrade is on you to determine value. An option being the Intel 11400 on a decent B motherboard, set XMP and forget about trying to squeeze a few more fps by OC. If doing other stuff other than gaming, even a 10700 is getting to be very good value on a B board.

Reactions: animekenji

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
For years the i5 was king for gaming. Cheaper than the i7 and good enough that fps was right behind, if not tied with its big brother.

But that was back when games were all 1-4 threads. This hasn't been the case since basically BF4 showed up and even the FX8350 got 2nd place, right on the heels of the i7-4790k, beating out the i5-4690k unless it was oc'd to the hills.

It's been a downhill slide for the i5's and quad core/thread cpus ever since. Even 6/6 cpus are barely hanging on, surviving solely on their higher IPC, but that's not going to last much longer.

Games are getting too realistic, too intensive, too demanding for low thread usage with very long code strings. Far easier, faster and more productive to split a long string into multiple short strings and get better fps as a result.

Right time to move away from an older i5? Always. Right time for you? Not so sure. DDR5 is right around the corner, AM5 socket, whatever Intel is planning to replace LGA1200 with, but figure all that is a year away or so.

If the gpu is good, performance stands a Very good shot at being much better with the 5600x. No more thread bottlenecks, higher IPC, more fps. Whether that's worth the price for cpu+mobo+ram upgrade is on you to determine value. An option being the Intel 11400 on a decent B motherboard, set XMP and forget about trying to squeeze a few more fps by OC. If doing other stuff other than gaming, even a 10700 is getting to be very good value on a B board.

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
would I need to upgrade my ram right now? PC partpciker says its compatible... running a ddr4 ripjaws. None the less, I still don't know what caused my sudden drop in performance in game as of recent. The pc went from being able to hold a steady 58-60 fps to not running more than 50 over night

May 29, 2021
when you launch cod warzone, open task manager, go to details section and reduce its priority to below normal. if that fixes some stutters then yes your cpu is getting too old my friend. I had a similar system with 980ti and i5 8400 6 core cpu. All cores were %100 and cpu simply wasn't enough to control the mouse because warzone sets itself to high priority on startup and doesn't leave any resources for mouse movement on cpu side. So I was having like half second mouse stutters playing warzone until I did this. Now I upgraded to 5600x with 3070 and warzone no longer runs on %100 on all cores so no problem anymore.

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
when you launch cod warzone, open task manager, go to details section and reduce its priority to below normal. if that fixes some stutters then yes your cpu is getting too old my friend. I had a similar system with 980ti and i5 8400 6 core cpu. All cores were %100 and cpu simply wasn't enough to control the mouse because warzone sets itself to high priority on startup and doesn't leave any resources for mouse movement on cpu side. So I was having like half second mouse stutters playing warzone until I did this. Now I upgraded to 5600x with 3070 and warzone no longer runs on %100 on all cores so no problem anymore.
I have tried that and did not notice a difference... Just deleted the game and completely re installed it. The explosions in the background are still completely bugging out. Earlier while I was playing some sounds were bugging out as well, like boddies constantly ragdolling. IDK what the deal is. It was working fine yesterday, and then I go to open the game back up after getting lunch and it isn't running great at all.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Both Ryzen and Intel (to a lesser degree mostly) benefit from faster ram. The 5600x benefits the most from 3800 but 3600 or 3200MHz are decent if the timings are good. Because of the way Ryzens use Infinity Fabric, that applies to Everything. With Intel on a monolithic die, it really only applies to apps/games that take advantage of ram speeds in some way.

If you have decent dual channel ram, you'll be fine, no need to replace, but if you are using 2133/2400MHz or a single stick, then you'll be cutting out roughly 15-20% or better performance from the cpu, a significant loss of fps potential.

It's compatible. It's DDR4. Doesn't mean it's optimal. Your house slippers might be considered shoes, and perfectly compatible with the size of your feet, but that doesn't mean they are any good on a construction site or farmyard.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
This sounds software related to me. You say it's only Warzone that is like this? Not BF4 or PuBG? What other games have you got installed, if any?

If possible, find an old SSD and try a full reinstall of Windows. Just install Windows updates, Graphics drivers, Motherboard drivers and Warzone. See how it plays then with a 100% clean system with nothing else installed. If its fine, then its definitely a software issue.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Go on ebay. Find yourself a Dell XPS 8940 or G5 5000 with either a i3 10100 or i5 10400,16gb RAM and the 500W PSU (it's VERY important that you find one with the 500W PSU) with the video card removed for $300-$500 and transfer your 1070 into it. There are many of them to choose from. You'll basically be building a burner rig for minimal money that you can sell on later when the new tech arrives, but will still be a lot faster than what you are using now. I'm doing that with my GTX 1080. My i7 6700 is still holding up pretty well, but I know it probably won't keep up much longer when the latest i3 and Ryzen 3 chips are faster than it is.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I would disagree, and I’d love to see the benchmarks on both systems. The 6600K is very, very close in games to a 10100, there’s basically no difference, and it’s very close in performance to a 10400.

If you’re frame locking to 60fps, then you likely aren’t using 100% CPU on a 6600K, so differences from upgrading CPU would be very small indeed.

One thing that would be different if he changed CPU would be a fresh install of windows, which I am certain will resolve these issues in war zone. So you could easily be fooled into thinking changing CPU and motherboard solved your issue .

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Vsync, adaptive Vsync, freesync only applies to below monitor refresh. Doesn't limit fps outputs from the cpu at all.

Usage isn't how much of the cpu is used but how much resources it uses, a considerable difference. It takes a certain amount of time for a cpu to make a frame, it has to place objects, assign addresses, Ai, movement, vector analysis, colors, dimensions, field of view etc. The amount of frames fully completed and shipped to the gpu in 1 second is your fps. All of that is dependent on the game code, it's complexity, length of strings, cores assigned, IPC. You can have 100% of 2 cores packed and be fps output bottlenecked badly, even with only 60% usage. CSGO is a perfect example, it only uses 2 threads, so faster clock speeds and higher IPC will dictate fps regardless of whether it's a 4c/4t cpu or a 10c/20t cpu.

Warzone is somewhat different. It can use roughly 8 threads if available, has large Ai and massive amounts of AVX/physX use compared to most games, then add in all the anti-cheat stuff and you'll get issues and low fps on a 4c/4t cpu. Those older, smaller cpus just don't have the available resources like Lcache to use to lower demand.

A 4c/4t cpu is going to get swamped. No way around that.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS