upgrade cpu/ram/mobo/hdd/ssd or just GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highc1157

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
trying to game crysis 3 max 1080p single monitor and metro last light with no SSAO but physx on.Also BF4 , BF3, witcher 2, upcoming releases

What would get me the best benefits now? i only have about $530 max i wanna spend. Ill spend whatever I dont get now in a few weeks to completely upgrade.

my current rig is:

Phenom 965 stock 3.4ghz
4gb ddr2 corsair
Gigabyte mobo
150gb hdd
Gtx 560ti
650watt antec earthwatts psu
Corsair h60 cooler

This is my question basically for all you guys, do these upgrades listed below seem like ill get the most bang for my buck , or should I just get a GTX 770, and upgrade cpu/mobo/ram/hdd/ssd later?

HD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
MOBO - ASrock z77 Extreme4 1155
CPU - I5-3570K Ivy Bridge
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Low profile timings 9-9-9-24
SSD - Crucial M4 64GB SATA III

****All this comes to 518 on Newegg with the free RAM deal w/ z77 mobo****

Solid choices? I think so. lemme know what you guys think :D

many thanks

Solution
Looks like a good list to me, except Crucial m4 is over-priced. It's the lowest performing modern SSD. Samsung 840 and Sandisk Ultra Plus are faster and actually cheaper too! You can see benchmarks on Anandtech. No need to buy the fastest SSD, but silly to spend extra for a slower drive.

Chaos is right about bottlenecking, though you absolutely need a GTX770 for maxing Crysis 3 at 1080p. A GTX560 Ti with the other upgrades won't cut it. So I'd say grab the card and hopefully bottlenecking won't be too excessive. Like I say, a GTX560 Ti will never do it (even with new CPU etc), but a GTX770 MIGHT do it.

EDIT: And +1 on SSD capacity - I didn't even notice that's a 60GB! I'm using an old 80GB and after MiB/MB conversion, installing...
You're absolutely right - that's much better scaling :) Though that would still suggest a only a 4% framerate boost from an 8% clock speed boost.

The difference has to be down to quality settings like you say. And typically, increasing quality settings shifts bottleneck away from CPU towards GPU (where you want it). That's why CPUs are generally tested at lower quality and lower resolution so the bottleneck is squarely on the processor. That said, it does seem that Crysis 3 enables some CPU-intensive stuff as you step up the quality settings.

I agree about the GTX770 now to enjoy most of its potential, and then unlock the rest of its performance later with a new platform.