[SOLVED] Upgrade CPU+RAM or GPU

dvd03cr

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
Hi, I bought a build PC last year I used to play on 1080p rightnow I buy a 4K TV I want to play on 4K my actual build is
CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x
GPU: RX580 8GB
MB: tomahawk b350
RAM: 8GB DDR4 3200 MHz F4-3200C16-8GTZR
SSD: 512GB Samsung XP941
HDD: 2TB
PSU: EVGA 600W 80 PLUS BRONZE

So the deal is I want to play 4K I want to buy 2080 but I don't know if my cpu could do a bottleneck
or I could buy a Ryzen 5 2600x plus 8GB ram, I only can buy 1 GPU or CPU+RAM I dont really care waiting to play in 4K, what could be better?

Solution
Getting a new CPU+RAM won't really help in higher resolution gaming. Getting a new and better GPU will help a lot.

Your PC system, as it is right now seems, perfectly balanced for 1080p gaming. If you want to game at 4K, you need a much better GPU. However the GPU market is unbalanced right now. All new Nvidia GPUs are too expensive for what they offer and AMD hasn't released its next gen GPUs yet. So the best value choice at the moment (for 4K) seems the older GTX 1080ti instead of the new RTX 2080. That won't last for too long though as the old GPU stock is diminishing quickly. If I were you I'd wait for a couple of months until AMD releases its new GPUs and Nvdia is forced to drop its prices.

As for the bottleneck it really...

serioussamik17

Distinguished
GPU+RAM upgrade would be best. That 2080 would make a huge difference coupled with more RAM. Since it looks a fairly new build with Ryzen , can't recommend a CPU upgrade at this point (which may well involve upgrade of the motherboard as well).

Getting a new CPU+RAM won't really help in higher resolution gaming. Getting a new and better GPU will help a lot.

Your PC system, as it is right now seems, perfectly balanced for 1080p gaming. If you want to game at 4K, you need a much better GPU. However the GPU market is unbalanced right now. All new Nvidia GPUs are too expensive for what they offer and AMD hasn't released its next gen GPUs yet. So the best value choice at the moment (for 4K) seems the older GTX 1080ti instead of the new RTX 2080. That won't last for too long though as the old GPU stock is diminishing quickly. If I were you I'd wait for a couple of months until AMD releases its new GPUs and Nvdia is forced to drop its prices.

As for the bottleneck it really depends on the games you are playing and whether they are heavily multi-threaded or not. Also keep in mind that the higher resolution you are playing, the less the bottleneck will be. You can keep your CPU and try to overclock it as much as you can. That will diminish the bottleneck a little bit but eventually you have to get a new CPU + more RAM after the GPU upgrade (6-12 months later). You can keep your motherboard as it is able to support all current and future Ryzen CPUs (till 2020). Good luck.

Solution

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Get the I would get the Ryzen 2600, 2600X or 2700X (update bios first)... the CPU is entry level that you have.. the GPU (I play on a 4K monitor with an 1080P and 2K monitor connected to an RX580 GPU) and have no issues at all but I have a better CPU Ryzen 7 1800X, 16GB of ram, and an X470 board..

Just an FYI 4K TV will give you ghosting for sure.. they are not exactly setup to work perfect with a computer.

Then get the better GPU later after you try that out. that CPU can really bottleneck the 2080 GPU being its pretty darn slow.

SO in short, I would do CPU.. then later GPU unless you can do CPU + GPU.. then add more ram.. (just my opinion but based on tests I have looked at the 1300X would slow down that GPU a lot (only seen for sure GTX 1080 cards though for reference with the faster 1500 ryzen cpu).

This isn't in line with what everyone else is saying, but wait until you actually play on the 4k TV to decide if you actually need to upgrade anything. The RX 580 8GB might actually handle your games at 4k medium settings with no AA very well, which will still look plenty good. Wait until zen 2 comes out to do any CPU upgrades, yours is ok for now. If you don't get the FPS you want with the 580, I would start looking at a GTX 1070 ti or 1080 and 8gb more ram over a GTX 2080 to be honest if you don't have tons of cash.