[SOLVED] Upgrade - CPU vs GPU

Aug 12, 2019
So I have a dilemma here, I went to upgrade my gaming pc to have more power as well as better graphics (FPS boost). I have already decided I’m going to be getting new ram sticks (which I already have picked out), I’m going to be going from 8gb to 16gb but here is the question. I want to upgrade my CPU (currently i5-6400k) and I also want to upgrade my GPU (currently GTX 1060) but I only have the budget to do one. If I upgrade my CPU I have decided I like the i7-9700k coffee lake 8-core with intel UHD graphics (does this mean it runs graphics and if so can I run it alongside a graphics card do get even better graphics settings?). If I upgrade my GPU I’m not sure what I would get or what is good and that’s where you guys come into play. Sorry for so many questions at once I’m kinda new to building/upgrading PC’s. So what do you guys think I should get if it’s a GPU then what GPU is it, if it’s a CPU do you think the one I have picked out is good or do you have a better suggestion?

Solution
First, if you upgrade to a 9700k and run a separate GPU, it will just run with the integrated graphics disabled in the same manner your 6400k runs now. But I would not upgrade to a 9700k.

The issue you have, is that some games it will be better to upgrade the GPU and other games it will be better to upgrade the CPU. Most games still like fast single threads and your current CPU can deliver that. But in the games that are CPU heavy, such as BFV, your CPU will hold you back.

I would go with the GPU because the CPU is less important right now. Mid range CPUs and perform within a few fps of top of the line CPUs in gaming.

You could also do both if you bought a used CPU. A 6700/7700 would drop into your system and they are very...
First, if you upgrade to a 9700k and run a separate GPU, it will just run with the integrated graphics disabled in the same manner your 6400k runs now. But I would not upgrade to a 9700k.

The issue you have, is that some games it will be better to upgrade the GPU and other games it will be better to upgrade the CPU. Most games still like fast single threads and your current CPU can deliver that. But in the games that are CPU heavy, such as BFV, your CPU will hold you back.

I would go with the GPU because the CPU is less important right now. Mid range CPUs and perform within a few fps of top of the line CPUs in gaming.

You could also do both if you bought a used CPU. A 6700/7700 would drop into your system and they are very good at gaming. Finding a used 6700 for a good price would not be that hard. Then you could get a 2060 or 2070 or a 5700 too. Just a thought.

Reactions: AngelTech
Solution
Ok so to answer your cpu with uhd graphics question. You can not run them together to get better video power. You can however use a monitor on the cpu and a monitor on the gpu. But this is not what you need. So let's start with the basics. What are your pc specs right now as it stands? To include cpu, gpu, memory, psu[power].

stinkycreature1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Upgrade your cpu first, you'll have more bottlenecks if you upgraded it with a more powerful gpu. At least you'll have an gpu bottle neck rather than a weak cpu limiting fps. That's just my opinion though.

So what do you guys think I should get if it’s a GPU then what GPU is it, if it’s a CPU do you think the one I have picked out is good or do you have a better suggestion?
Note - upgrade from i5-6400k to i7-9700k will also require a new motherboard.
On current motherboard you can upgrade to i7-7700k max.

I'd upgrade ram and GPU.
GPU options - RTX 2060/RTX 2060 Super/RX 5700.

You did not mention which GTX1060, as the 1060 (6 GB) is still quite good for most 1080P gaming scenarios. while the 3 GB variants generally require reduced quality settings more often...

If you have the former (a 6 GB variant), I'd stand pat on the GPU assuming you are a 1080P /60 Hz refresh monitor using gamer.

The CPU. with but 4 cores/threads, is going to need attention ASAP.

the standard go to for many 'upgrade CPU now' is some sort of B450 and R5-3600 for about ~$330 or so...(At some point, if your RAM is not at least 3200 MHz, I'd possibly want faster RAM as well)

If you have a slower GTX 1060 (3 GB) variant also demands upgrading, the RX580 is currently a very good value right now at about $185....(Next good point afterwards is another $100 upward, an RTX2060 on sale for $285 when/if you can find them priced as such)

Aug 12, 2019
Note - upgrade from i5-6400k to i7-9700k will also require a new motherboard.
On current motherboard you can upgrade to i7-7700k max.

I'd upgrade ram and GPU.
GPU options - RTX 2060/RTX 2060 Super/RX 5700.

Okay thanks you that helps a lot, I have one more question can you run duel graphics cards at one time or is it better to run one at a time?

So I have a dilemma here, I went to upgrade my gaming pc to have more power as well as better graphics (FPS boost). I have already decided I’m going to be getting new ram sticks (which I already have picked out), I’m going to be going from 8gb to 16gb but here is the question. I want to upgrade my CPU (currently i5-6400k) and I also want to upgrade my GPU (currently GTX 1060) but I only have the budget to do one. If I upgrade my CPU I have decided I like the i7-9700k coffee lake 8-core with intel UHD graphics (does this mean it runs graphics and if so can I run it alongside a graphics card do get even better graphics settings?). If I upgrade my GPU I’m not sure what I would get or what is good and that’s where you guys come into play. Sorry for so many questions at once I’m kinda new to building/upgrading PC’s. So what do you guys think I should get if it’s a GPU then what GPU is it, if it’s a CPU do you think the one I have picked out is good or do you have a better suggestion?

You're right...it is a dilemma. The 16gig of ram is a solid 1st step.

If you like strategy games like Civilization or Starcraft 2 you'll be better served by upgrading the CPU. You didn't list the motherboard you have so I'd recommend looking at the CPU's it will support on the board makers website and buy the fastest one with the highest core count it and your wallet will both handle.

On the other hand if you play primarily first person shooters like COD or Battlefield then I would overclock the CPU and upgrade the GPU as the GPU is more important in fast paced games...in this case the AMD Vega56, AMD 5700, nVidia 2060 and 2070 boards are all good mid range choices...again depending on your budget.

Aug 12, 2019
You did not mention which GTX1060, as the 1060 (6 GB) is still quite good for most 1080P gaming scenarios. while the 3 GB variants generally require reduced quality settings more often...

If you have the former (a 6 GB variant), I'd stand pat on the GPU assuming you are a 1080P /60 Hz refresh monitor using gamer.

The CPU. with but 4 cores/threads, is going to need attention ASAP.

the standard go to for many 'upgrade CPU now' is some sort of B450 and R5-3600 for about ~$330 or so...(At some point, if your RAM is not at least 3200 MHz, I'd possibly want faster RAM as well)

If you have a slower GTX 1060 (3 GB) variant also demands upgrading, the RX580 is currently a very good value right now at about $185....(Next good point afterwards is another $100 upward, an RTX2060 on sale for $285 when/if you can find them priced as such)

Okay thank you for the advice, I do have a 3GB GPU so I’ll be looking into a 2060 I think. As for the CPU if you think it needs attention ASAP I’ll make the priority #1. Do you think I should get an intel core or do a completely different company?

Aug 12, 2019

You could also do both if you bought a used CPU. A 6700/7700 would drop into your system and they are very good at gaming. Finding a used 6700 for a good price would not be that hard. Then you could get a 2060 or 2070 or a 5700 too. Just a thought.

Do used CPU’s have much flaw to them for r is it almost like buying new?

Aug 12, 2019
You're right...it is a dilemma. The 16gig of ram is a solid 1st step.

If you like strategy games like Civilization or Starcraft 2 you'll be better served by upgrading the CPU. You didn't list the motherboard you have so I'd recommend looking at the CPU's it will support on the board makers website and buy the fastest one with the highest core count it and your wallet will both handle.

On the other hand if you play primarily first person shooters like COD or Battlefield then I would overclock the CPU and upgrade the GPU as the GPU is more important in fast paced games...in this case the AMD Vega56, AMD 5700, nVidia 2060 and 2070 boards are all good mid range choices...again depending on your budget.
My budget would be about 400$-500$ what’s your thought for the best GPU for that?

My budget would be about 400$-500$ what’s your thought for the best GPU for that?

I would go with a normal 2060 or 2070...unless you buy a much faster CPU a 2070 super would be too much GPU for your CPU to make use of. Something like this would be ideal if it will fit in your computer case - https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-06g-p4-2167-kr/p/N82E16814487424?Description=evga rtx 2060&cm_re=evga_rtx_2060--14-487-424--Product

Also make sure your power supply can handle whatever upgrade you decide on.

Aug 12, 2019
I would go with a normal 2060 or 2070...unless you buy a much faster CPU a 2070 super would be too much GPU for your CPU to make use of. Something like this would be ideal if it will fit in your computer case - https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-06g-p4-2167-kr/p/N82E16814487424?Description=evga rtx 2060&cm_re=evga_rtx_2060--14-487-424--Product

Also make sure your power supply can handle whatever upgrade you decide on.
Okay thank you I actually really like this GPU, and as for my power supply I think I’ll upgrade to something a little bigger just to be safe.