If I upgrade my CPU from a 266 fsb to a 333 fsb will I
have to re-install windows xp?

Is the a new motherboard or just a BIOS setting change?

The answer is probably no with the BIOS setting change,
maybe yes with the new mobo.

"leonid" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:18c5101c44c48$edf72590$a301280a@phx.gbl...
| If I upgrade my CPU from a 266 fsb to a 333 fsb will I
| have to re-install windows xp?

Hi, Leonid.

As Jim said, changing only the CPU usually does not require a re-install,
but changing the motherboard almost always does, because that usually means
a change in the chipset, too, which require new drivers to be integrated
into WinXP.

If you do need to reinstall WinXP, follow Microsoft's instructions for an
"in-place upgrade". This will reinstall WinXP itself, but should preserve
your installed applications and data. WinXP will revert to its
just-installed state, which means you will need to visit Windows Update as
soon as you get your firewall and antivirus working again, to get the latest
Service Pack and later updates. An in-place upgrade is probably a half-day
project, including the updates.

See this KB article:
How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA