• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Upgrade current rig, or build a new one???

Jimmmm3h

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Hi all,

I use my computer just for gaming and I'm getting to the point where it isn't running new games very well. I've had the computer for a few years and the only things I have upgraded in the past few years is the gpu and the psu.

I would just like some advice whether it would be better to start a brand new build or to just upgrade the GPU and HD?

This is my current rig:
i5-3570k @ 3.8
Gtx 770
Corsair cs750m PSU
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 ram 2 x 8GB
I have a an Asus mobo but not sure of the model?
1tb HDD

I'm thinking a gtx 1070 and a Samsung evo 850 500gb ssd as upgrades or this as a new build:
i5-7600k
Msi gaming x Gtx 1070
G.skill ripjaw v series 16gb DDR4 ram
Maybe a new case
Use the same PSU
Msi z270 gaming pro carbon
Without a case this is around £900

The other thing is its making a kind of whining noise that comes and goes in a kind of rhythm, if that makes sense. Could that be the case fans or something worse? It's been doing it for a long time now.

Any help would be much appreciated I've never build a rig from scratch before!

CRO5513Y

Estimable
Herald
Mar 15, 2017
I would reuse that Power Supply it should be fine, also the case depending on what it is if you think it's good enough for your needs/taste. Other than that i agree with CountMike, new build all the way! Hope this helps :)

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

Is the old rig a prebuilt or a custom build, or something else (like assembled by a store)? I would suspect that the whine would be coil whine, probably from your gpu, although perhaps from your PSU.

I personally think that doing something inbetween would be a good choice. Save money by re-useing your PSU, fans and the hdd, and maybe upgrade the case, dependent on if your current case is prebuilt or custom. Also you might want to wait a few weeks 'Till Ryzen 5 comes out, as that may be an option!

But that depends if you upgrade your CPU at all. Gaming doesn't require a lot of CPU horsepower. Unless your playing cities: skylines, or GTA V, your old CPU might be just fine (and that would save you from getting a new motherboard, RAM and CPU!) This is a rough comparison of the two, and, BTW, if your gonna do any video editing or other heavliy multi-threaded applications, it will probably be worth getting the Ryzen 1600x, a six core CPU coming out in a few weeks.

The comparison:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570K/3885vs1316