Upgrade dilemma - CPU/mobo/RAM or GPU?

mossi

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
140
0
10,680
0
My current system is below (and also in my signature).

[AMD FX-8320] [Asrock N68-GS4 FX R2.0] [2x4GBs DDR3 Kingston HyperX Blue 1866] [Gigabyte 7970HD
3GB OC Windforce] [ 2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint SATA2] [Samsung 850 Evo 240Gb SSD] [Fractal Design R4] [Corsair HX750W]

I'm thinking I got enough currently to upgrade either CPU/mobo/RAM or GPU in around the £250 mark maximum..

So I was going to go for a MSI 1060 GTX 6GB Gaming (non-X) or go for Ryzen 2200G with new mobo and 8gbs of RAM

I'd upgrade one now and the other one next year or later in the year..

Any recommendations as to what to go for first?
I'm mainly interested in gaming of course.
The system is fine with 'productivity' tasks so to say.

Thank you in advance!
 

gdmaclew

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
1,339
0
19,460
94
You can't just upgrade one of the items if you are going to migrate to the Ryzen platform.
Ryzen CPUs and DDR4 RAM and motherboard are not compatible with your FX CPU and DDR3 RAM.
The only thing you can change is your GPU.
Everything else must be changed together.
 

ShadowPrimeOne

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
122
0
4,760
35
For the gpu the 1060 is going to be 3 years old soon, it's still very good for 1080p, but the 2060 from nvidia is going to be lunched probably in the Q1 or Q2 of 2019 and by the looks of it, that will be a substantial upgrade, also amd is going to lunch its gpus soon, so now is not that right time to upgrade the gpu imo, also for that money i don't think you can get that good of a combination of CPU/mobo/RAM, maybe something with a ryzen 2600, but the ram prices are still high right now and you need new ram if you're going to upgrade. Maybe you can find a first gen ryzen cpu second hand and as for mobo, for ryzen ryzen first gen and second gen have interchangeable mobos.
 

mossi

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
140
0
10,680
0


so you think i should wait and get something newer?
i had my sights on the MSI one as I want a proper silent GPU and in my budget that ticks all the boxes

i've read about the Ryzen 3rd generation coming out (won't be getting intel CPU as they're not value for money) some time in May 2019?

so you think best to wait and get the new offerings on that price bracket?
 

ShadowPrimeOne

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
122
0
4,760
35


If you don't need a performance boost right away, the best option is to wait a bit and when the new gen comes out, usually the old stuff gets a price cut. Wait and see what are the new prices are then make a decision.
 

mossi

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
140
0
10,680
0
Are there any rumors/predictions/whatever around RAM prices? they are pretty high which is weird as SSD prices are at all time low which makes me think might invest in SSF instead and wait for all the new goodies.

How long do you think I need to wait for new GPUs/CPUs?
I'll get my bonus next April so I'd want to get something nice :D
 

Similar threads


ASK THE COMMUNITY