Question Upgrade Dilemma. OverClocked i7-7700K or Ryzen 9 3900X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 16, 2021
Ok, so I have a system, intel i7-7700K, which I don’t OverClock because I like lower temps and longer CPU life and haven’t noticed any CPU bottlenecks. I currently have a ROG STRIX 1080 in this computer with a InWin case. Airflow isn’t that great; I think it’s a InWin 805. I have all the full PC specs if needed.

As a preface, I just acquired a 3080 ti to upgrade my computer and a new AIO Corsair H115 just in case my current Corsair H115 is degrading in performance (approx 3 years old and seeing an increase in CPU temps, about 10 degrees C, 56C under load to about 66C under load). Bought new Kryonaut thermal paste to install the new AIO.

Then, a few days later, a friend offered me to buy his PC for a really good deal. So I bought it. It has a Ryzen 9 3900X with a LianLi O11 Dynamic Case.

Should I put the new EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 ti in my current i7-7700k binned @ 5.2 GHz and delidded by SiliconLottery, build or put it in the Ryzen 9 3900X? I’ve put a lot of time & thought into my i7 build, that’s why I’m reluctant.

Both PCs have similar specs aside from the processor and case. Corsair RAM, plenty of power PSU-wise. Although, the LianLi has a 360mm AIO radiator and my i7 build has a 280mm AIO. Which probably isn’t too important because from my understanding Ryzen CPU’s don’t get as hot as my i7-7700K.

Im not trolling at all The main point is you think 7700k is a better option over 3900x when he has both. I never said the 7700k was a bad chip. I actually have a 7700 with a 1070 for my son and he loves it but if someone gave me a 3900x system i would retire the 7700 or maybe sell it or give it away. Honestly man i think you are trolling here because you keep arguing the point further and further going into how these benchmarks are not legit. I dont really want to argue anymore. The fact is 3900x is a better chip and single core is right there on close to on par.
I think what you're doing is pretty much the definition of trolling, lol. The OP even replied with their solution and thanked us for our input.

I didn't say the 7700k was a better option over a 3900x. I did say that for what the OP might be doing, it's a toss up since both of them have essentially the same single thread rating. You refute that, and that's fine. Move on.