Question Upgrade Dilemma. OverClocked i7-7700K or Ryzen 9 3900X

Aug 16, 2021
Ok, so I have a system, intel i7-7700K, which I don’t OverClock because I like lower temps and longer CPU life and haven’t noticed any CPU bottlenecks. I currently have a ROG STRIX 1080 in this computer with a InWin case. Airflow isn’t that great; I think it’s a InWin 805. I have all the full PC specs if needed.

As a preface, I just acquired a 3080 ti to upgrade my computer and a new AIO Corsair H115 just in case my current Corsair H115 is degrading in performance (approx 3 years old and seeing an increase in CPU temps, about 10 degrees C, 56C under load to about 66C under load). Bought new Kryonaut thermal paste to install the new AIO.

Then, a few days later, a friend offered me to buy his PC for a really good deal. So I bought it. It has a Ryzen 9 3900X with a LianLi O11 Dynamic Case.

Should I put the new EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 ti in my current i7-7700k binned @ 5.2 GHz and delidded by SiliconLottery, build or put it in the Ryzen 9 3900X? I’ve put a lot of time & thought into my i7 build, that’s why I’m reluctant.

Both PCs have similar specs aside from the processor and case. Corsair RAM, plenty of power PSU-wise. Although, the LianLi has a 360mm AIO radiator and my i7 build has a 280mm AIO. Which probably isn’t too important because from my understanding Ryzen CPU’s don’t get as hot as my i7-7700K.

D

Deleted member 1560910

I call BS on this post because one breath you say you didnt overclock you 7700k then you say you delided it to 5.2. Sounds sus to me

Aug 16, 2021
I call BS on this post because one breath you say you didnt overclock you 7700k then you say you delided it to 5.2. Sounds sus to me

No, I tried over clocking it came back from the SiliconLottery people who binned and delidded the chip for me. I didn’t like the higher temps. Actually, checking the paperwork, it was binned @ 5.1GHz. Here’s what the paperwork said that came back with my binned and delidded chip.

7700K @ 5.1 GHz Delidded
Batch L722B426
SKU: 7700KDELIDS

Your CPU should be stable when using the settings below.

1.437V Vcore
-2 AVX Offset

D

Deleted member 1560910

Everyone in the PC game knows the 3900x was a great chip and still is while the 7700k is showing its age but yes doing your research is everything good luck

Its a no brainer the 3900x has more cores and is faster single core
This is false according to the results on passmark:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/2874vs3493

They would basically be the same at stock clocks, but you even mildly overclock the 7700k (like an all core turbo), then it will certainly be faster single thread performance, hence that's where I would put the 3080Ti if you want to max it out single thread.

But having 12 cores vs 4 is no joke and you might find that those extra cores actually allow the 3080Ti to work more continuously without an interruption and hence run better. Really tough to say without all the details about the application and how that application works on Intel vs AMD and then all the nuances in hardware such as chipset, bios, memory, storage, os, etc.

I think at the end you won't really notice a difference, so for the sake of leaving your 7700k running as-is, I would put it in the Ryzen. :)

D

Deleted member 1560910

This is false according to the results on passmark:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/2874vs3493

They would basically be the same at stock clocks, but you even mildly overclock the 7700k (like an all core turbo), then it will certainly be faster single thread performance, hence that's where I would put the 3080Ti if you want to max it out single thread.

But having 12 cores vs 4 is no joke and you might find that those extra cores actually allow the 3080Ti to work more continuously without an interruption and hence run better. Really tough to say without all the details about the application and how that application works on Intel vs AMD and then all the nuances in hardware such as chipset, bios, memory, storage, os, etc.

I think at the end you won't really notice a difference, so for the sake of leaving your 7700k running as-is, I would put it in the Ryzen. :)

I think it depends on the test running https://technical.city/en/cpu/Core-i7-7700K-vs-Ryzen-9-3900X Even for a couple points in a certain test the 7700k isnt worth it when the 3900x is a well rounded cpu

I think it depends on the test running https://technical.city/en/cpu/Core-i7-7700K-vs-Ryzen-9-3900X Even for a couple points in a certain test the 7700k isnt worth it when the 3900x is a well rounded cpu
Yes it does, and that test is pitting a 12 core cpu versus a 4 core--I would expect the 12 core to win since all the tests were not for single thread performance.

This is why I use passmark because in my experience, it's relative ratings between cpus is reliable, ie when the single thread says one is faster than another, it generally is.

But I've even seen how a 100 point difference in single thread performance doesn't really amount to much of a chance in 'feel'. It's usually a 300 point difference where things become noticeable. Of course, cores also change the game and can have even a more profound effect depending on the software/os involved.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Yes it does, and that test is pitting a 12 core cpu versus a 4 core--I would expect the 12 core to win since all the tests were not for single thread performance.

This is why I use passmark because in my experience, it's relative ratings between cpus is reliable, ie when the single thread says one is faster than another, it generally is.

But I've even seen how a 100 point difference in single thread performance doesn't really amount to much of a chance in 'feel'. It's usually a 300 point difference where things become noticeable. Of course, cores also change the game and can have even a more profound effect depending on the software/os involved.
It seems you missed all the single core tests

Unless stuck in dark ages of single core PC gaming, go for more cores in more modern CPUs. Even when gaming older games there's helluva more going on in the background and modern windows (W8 and up) have pretty good sense of which cores do what and can switch load around.
One day you may want to do some streaming and/or recording maybe run other stuff at same time and "extra" cores will come extra handy.
Depending on MB, one day you may also want to switch to Ryzen 5800x/5900x without much hassle and so get another 20-25% better performance which would absolutely "kill" any other CPU made beforehand in single (archaic) and multi core even without bothering with OC.
With 7700 you are stuck where you are period even if you could eek some OC.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOg0zcF4_c

When discussing games, then results of games should be considered. ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLqVxyRPK80

Hardware Unboxed goes for views w/ 'click-baity' titles seemingly damning the 7700K, then showing the overclocked 7700K holding up very well against the even the 3700X in most games. (Their 'logic' is that one should not have gotten the 7700K since the 8700K came out only 8-9 months later....; yet, there are the results showing it defeating or matching many AMD processors from 2017 ...and 2018)

Certainly, the common 'even 10100 is faster!'-myth is quickly shattered! (The 10400, however, clearly defeats it in everything)

If not a streamer, the 7700K can still hold it's own, but, it going to the trouble of a new mainboard /CPU before the results of socket 1700 are out, the 5600X/ 5800X /5900Xare still ruling most gaming comparisons, with the 5600X offering the best value, especially if/ when on sale at ~$270-$280.... (Nobody buys a 7700K and mainboard today....; the issue is how long can one wait before upgrading before it's needed 'right now'! As all I play is BF1, mine still feels quite 'more than adequate', but, one cannot deny the newer Ryzens of the last two generations easily defeat it, and would get the nod every day if making a purchase now...)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1560910

And it seems you missed the point--those sites are not reliable when doing comparisons ime and passmark is.
It clearly showed Cinabench being used in single core testwhich was higher score for the 3900x . Im not going to go back and forth with you about it the point is the 3900x will offer similar single core performance while having more cores its a no brainer

D

Deleted member 1560910

It clearly showed Cinabench being used in single core testwhich was higher score for the 3900x . Im not going to go back and forth with you about it the point is the 3900x will offer similar single core performance while having more cores its a no brainer
No the mention a proper upgrade path to boot. I dont know if he had a 570 mobo but even so he can buy one then in future can upgrade to 5000 series because AMD is dominating the CPU market.The 7700k is old and cant handle most new games and you lets not mention how to 3900x will crush the little 4 core in productiving

Reactions: CountMike
Aug 16, 2021
Unless stuck in dark ages of single core PC gaming, go for more cores in more modern CPUs. Even when gaming older games there's helluva more going on in the background and modern windows (W8 and up) have pretty good sense of which cores do what and can switch load around.
One day you may want to do some streaming and/or recording maybe run other stuff at same time and "extra" cores will come extra handy.
Depending on MB, one day you may also want to switch to Ryzen 5800x/5900x without much hassle and so get another 20-25% better performance which would absolutely "kill" any other CPU made beforehand in single (archaic) and multi core even without bothering with OC.
With 7700 you are stuck where you are period even if you could eek some OC.

Awesome input. Thanks for all the great input everyone. I think I’ll be giving the i7 build to my son and putting the 3080ti into the Ryzen computer.

Cinbench is just one of many various metrics. I've seen an lga775 cpu beat by an Athlon in winzip on a benchmark. That's great if all I did was run winzip all day...

No the mention a proper upgrade path to boot. I dont know if he had a 570 mobo but even so he can buy one then in future can upgrade to 5000 series because AMD is dominating the CPU market.The 7700k is old and cant handle most new games and you lets not mention how to 3900x will crush the little 4 core in productiving
Proper upgrade path is buy what you need right now. Because when you need something faster, it will be cheaper. I used to build $11k systems that were trying to future proof; but the real value is actually being towards the end of the performance curve where you can pick up fairly powerful systems for pennies on the dollar of their 'new to the market' price.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Proper upgrade path is buy what you need right now. Because when you need something faster, it will be cheaper. I used to build $11k systems that were trying to future proof; but the real value is actually being towards the end of the performance curve where you can pick up fairly powerful systems for pennies on the dollar of their 'new to the market' price.
He already owns the 3900x what are you talking about. There is no such thing as future proof. Not to mention you are defending using a 7700k over a 3900x in 2021 which is un wise

He already owns the 3900x what are you talking about. There is no such thing as future proof. Not to mention you are defending using a 7700k over a 3900x in 2021 which is un wise
You're the one who brought up the future:
...but even so he can buy one then in future can upgrade to 5000 series...

All systems are useful depending on the intended purpose. But from your arguing and trolling, it's pretty clear that you don't understand that nor know to really optimize anything. Go away and just play your games now--the OP has figured out what to do.

D

Deleted member 1560910

You're the one who brought up the future:

All systems are useful depending on the intended purpose. But from your arguing and trolling, it's pretty clear that you don't understand that nor know to really optimize anything. Go away and just play your games now--the OP has figured out what to do.
Im not trolling at all The main point is you think 7700k is a better option over 3900x when he has both. I never said the 7700k was a bad chip. I actually have a 7700 with a 1070 for my son and he loves it but if someone gave me a 3900x system i would retire the 7700 or maybe sell it or give it away. Honestly man i think you are trolling here because you keep arguing the point further and further going into how these benchmarks are not legit. I dont really want to argue anymore. The fact is 3900x is a better chip and single core is right there on close to on par.

Reactions: CountMike

Latest posts