[SOLVED] Upgrade dilemma: SATA or NVME

kaboonkal

Commendable
Sep 7, 2017
I've had a 250GB 850 EVO for a year or two now, and I'm starting to feel like I need to get a larger one.
I do not edit videos or music nor am I a graphics designer (I might start vlogging in the future but it is unknown as of yet).
I mostly use my PC for gaming and coding in addition to the usual browsing and office work.
I think I need a 1TB now, but am unsure as to what type I should get because I know that for gaming there shouldn't be a noticeable improvement using NVME, but the prices where I live are sometimes quite close to each other.
These are the options I have available in my area:
SATA:
  1. WD Blue ~158 USD
  2. EVO 860 ~194
NVME:
  1. WD Blue SN550 ~212
  2. 970 EVO ~223
  3. Kingston A2000 ~192
  4. XPG SX6000 ~158
  5. XPG SX8200 Pro ~185
  6. XPG SPECTRIX S40G ~192

What do you think I should get?

Solution
Yeah, generally my rule is that if the NVMe is cheaper, the same, or only a tiny bit more than the SATA version, go for NVMe.

The space savings and lack of cable clutter also helps, if the SATA happens to be a 2.5" rather than an M.2 form factor.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, generally my rule is that if the NVMe is cheaper, the same, or only a tiny bit more than the SATA version, go for NVMe.

The space savings and lack of cable clutter also helps, if the SATA happens to be a 2.5" rather than an M.2 form factor.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS