[SOLVED] Upgrade fan/cooling system in Dell Optiplex Micro ?

AnderHerrera

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016
I am done with the fan noise produced with the tiny and - super loud blower found in the Optiplex Micro. What are my real options to get rid of the noise? Standard fans will not fit due to different connectors, plus the size is very small for a passive cooler. Has anyone got any ideas?

Solution
Practically a laptop. Not sure what you are expecting.

Take it out of the case and slap a heatsink on it? Not really an ideal solution. I can't imagine the nightmare that mounting will be. Re-wiring fans to work with Dell computers isn't usually too big a deal. Typically they use a 5-pin connector, you just have to steal the connector off of the stock fan and your replacement fan and swap them.

You could maybe do something silly like liquid metal under there, that might make it cool enough for the fan to spin less. Also probably pick up a brand new fan from Dell, would be quieter than the original one I would think.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Practically a laptop. Not sure what you are expecting.

Take it out of the case and slap a heatsink on it? Not really an ideal solution. I can't imagine the nightmare that mounting will be. Re-wiring fans to work with Dell computers isn't usually too big a deal. Typically they use a 5-pin connector, you just have to steal the connector off of the stock fan and your replacement fan and swap them.

You could maybe do something silly like liquid metal under there, that might make it cool enough for the fan to spin less. Also probably pick up a brand new fan from Dell, would be quieter than the original one I would think.

Solution