Upgrade Feedback

indy31

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Alright, I'm heading down to the local PC store tomorrow to buy some brand spanking new parts. This is what I am looking at

Proc - Intel i5-2500k
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 (proc/mobo come as a combo, saves me $75) - $345 total

GPU - HIS Radeon 6950 ICEQ Turbo 2GB - $269.99 after rebate (and perhaps more after the discount I get for the company I work at)

PSU - Corsair GMPSU-600CX

RAM - G.Skill 12 GB Sniper Series (thinking about maybe going 4 x 4GB of the RipJaws) - $109.99 for Sniper, $120 after rebates for RipJaws

And finally updating to Windows 7 ($119)

Total in the checkout basket is $925, not including rebates or any money that may be taken off due to my employee discount.

I'd love an SSD for the OS, but may just try and find a cheaper 7200 RPM hard drive

Any feedback/thoughts?

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
You don't need nearly that much RAM, unless you're using something like Photoshop CS but for gaming you certainly don't need near that much. 4 or even 8 gigs is fine but anything above that is blown money ATM. Until they start making programs with the ability to access large amounts of RAM you won't need it.

SSD will smoke a traditional drive, I love mine. HDD seems to be the bottleneck nowadays on a modern pc.

the price gets a little high, should be closer to 750 as a ballpark. i'd cross-compare with a site like newegg, or the equivalent of what country you're in just to make sure that you're not getting a "local" price unless you're specifically buying to keep it local.

indy31

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I've compared most of the parts to NewEgg and found them to be similar (some higher on NewEgg, some lower). The company I work for has a deal with Memory Express that brings all parts to cost + 6%. For some parts that's only like a $10-15 reduction, but on the 6950 it drops it down to about $215.

That price also included $120 for an OS. Parts alone will be about $800.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
are you forgetting a case? I don't see case nor optical in the list now that I look at it. Hard drive as well. What were we thinking on those?

Edit: derp upgrading from old parts.

Still, how old is your HDD. . . I had one I reused take a dump on me. they're cheap enough that you should be able to squeeze one in.

indy31

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
It's old. And I've had a bit of a bad feeling about it for a bit now, so if I get there and find that my cost is in the $800-850 range, I think I'll definetly be able to get a nice 500GB or 1TB 7200 RPM HDD in there.

If I hit the $800 or lower range, might even be able to score a cheap 7200 RPM drive (Seagate Barracuda 500GB perhaps) and a decent SSD. But that is dream land right now.

For an extra $20, I can get a Windows7/WD Caviar Green 2TB 5400 RPM ($139.99), which I might do and then just use it for music/movies

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
heck you can easily get a 500 gig for the 50 dollar range, I believe WD Blues are a solid drive for 40 bucks.

If I did get that caviar bundle i'd get an SSD for my boot drive. The greens are throttled (google "WD Green Intellipower") to use less electricity. This should mean a longer life and lower wattage, but at reduced performance. It's not a dealbreaker to install it on but if you're expecting fast load times of large files (aka movies) i'd pick a snappier drive.

indy31

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Tis what I am thinking. There are a couple SSD's that are 50 and 60GB in the $100 range. Should be enough for a boot drive and a game or two (my Football Manager is going to run so fast now. All this power to run a text game. Plus others obviously :))

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

The only boost you'll get from most any game besides one that streams part of a large map (think something like GTA) is right when it's booting and when it's loading levels.

You'd probably get more use out of an actual program like photo/video/music editing installed to it.

Not to say that a game would perform poorly if it were on an SSD, just that you could find better use for the space.