Upgrade for AGP 2x Mobo

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I want to replace my Rage 128 Pro AGP 2X card with something that will place most games decently. After searching thru a couple 100 messages here I thought I'd just go ahead and ask. I've seen conflicting info on whether or not a 4x card will work in a 2x slot.
Thanks!

I know enuff to be dangerous. :tongue:

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Yea it should be able to, but it'll only run at 2x. Remember this important thing:
2 x 2 = 4 ÷ 2 = 2

It'll help when you're grocery shopping.

-----
Hope for the future.
Reflect on the past.
But focus on the present you mofo.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only card from ATI or nVidia that won't run at 2x is the 9600 series. You could put a 9800 in there if you wanted!

The 9600 series are low-voltage only cards, and those are the ONLY ones.

I'd probably recommend a GeForce4 Ti4200 for most AGP2x systems. Anything more seems to be a waste of money on old systems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Yeah, I'd agree for the most part, but what about two stage upgrades? If he upgrades his board in a few months he's now got a cheesy Graphics card bottle neck. Depending on the money involved an R9800 or an FX5900XT/LS/SE or FX5700U may do the trick. The GF4 is great as a stop-gap response and likely fits the CURRENT board just fine like you say, but I'd think that perhaps a littlle more card would allow the card to stick around through the next upgrade. It is too bad though that the best option (IMO) R9600 series is only 4X and 8X, cause I think that would offer greater flexibility.

However for the time being without any further upgrades the GF4 is likely the best use of what may be limited resources.

Just a thought.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sure, but then he'd probably want to upgrade the video card and power supply at the same time, and what if he isn't upgrading the board?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

True, just a thought. If someone has limited funds (otherwise why wouldn't he have a current board) I would think an upgrade piece by piece is the way tot go. An R9800 now followed by and R42X or RV380 when they come down in price 4-6 months after a new mobo, etc at about the time that THOSE cards are new. The power supply is an issue though. That may cause a bit more concern and require upgrading sooner, but even then maybe a better choice.

That was one of the things I was dissapointed about with this recent VGA chart, the old one showed how a top of the line card with a crap mobo+cpu compared to ta mid range card with a new mobo+cpu, some games benifited from the better card, others benifited more from the better cpu.

Anywho, I agree for the most part, I was just thinking if this was a situatiuon of 'I upgrade 1 or two things every 6 months' perhaps this may be another solution. too bad the VGA chart couldn't give us a better picture for games like Halo, COD, etc. where perhaps the CPU influences the AI and such more than the FPS.

Oh well just my two frames worth as always.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: