TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my Acer xb270hu, which I've had for about 3 years at this point. It's served me well, but I'm looking for an upgrade, primarily for gaming.

Specs:
RTX 2080 ti
i9-9900k @4.8ghz OC
2x8gb 4000mhz
500gb 960 EVO
1TB 860 EVO

Increasingly, I find myself using DSR to increase the resolution beyond 1440p, even if my game is running below 144hz. For this reason, increase my monitor's native resolution is important to me, but other factors are definitely important. I'd love a bigger monitor, I'm interested in ultrawides, and better colors and faster response times would be great. HDR does not interest me much at this point. Ultimately, I want a good value, something that will last.

A few options I'm interested in below. Obviously the $1,600 4k 144hz HDR monitor's are an upgrade, but I can't help but feel like they are a poor value. The $1,000 VB273K seems like a good option, but not exactly cheap either. Its Freesync counterpart often goes on sale for $800, but it's not color accurate the same way the VB237K is. If that monitor was 32 inches, or was 144hz with full chroma sub sampling I'd probably have bought it already.

The new 38'" LG Nano IPS Ultra Wide caught my eye, but it looks like it'll be $2,000, which I could pony up for in a few months, but again, it feels like a poor value.

Are the newer 1440p144hz monitors much of an upgrade over my old, 1st gen IPS? I see the new Nano IPS 1440p144hz monitor getting great reviews, but would it be worth the $500? What about Samsung's Nano-IPS monitors? How do the VAs compare?

Lastly, the ultra wide's all seem pretty great, but I feel like upgrading to an ultrawide just to lose refresh rate. Seems more like a side-grade. But if the quality (color, resolution, response time) is there, I' fine to loose a little bit of refresh rate. Are there any monitor here that would be a good value, and a real upgrade?

Appreciate any other crazy recommendations :)

TRENDING THREADS