Upgrade for Gateway GT5220?

Kyle_Hart

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Hi all,

Just wondering what cheap processor that would make my PC perform better would be.

I have a Gateway GT5220, AM2 sockets, and I was just wondering if there would be anything under $100 to give me a decent boost in power. I am also upgrading the RAM to four gigs (currently 3 gigs), my graphics card (which is currently a NVidia GeForce 9800 GT), and now just trying to figure out a processor which will fit into my MOBO. I know it's an old computer, but I don't want to build a new PC just yet.

All I am trying to do is get the computer in good enough shape to play The Elder Scrolls Online. Right now, the game will run no issues, just not at the settings I want it to run at, trying to get all I can out of the game, and it's been a few years since I have upgraded anything outside of my mouse and keyboard for my PC.

Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
What is the AM2 processor you have in there now? What resolution is your display? What is your PSU's make/model?
There will be no new ones available that will fit that socket anymore. But there is always ebay.

But in all honesty, if you don't have a discrete card in the machine, no processor is going to make a difference. Add a little bit more info about the system as mentioned above.

You have a 3800+, which is a 2.0GHz dual core if I am not mistaken. Far from the worst thing ever, but far from the best.

The best processor you can fit in there would be a first generation Phenom Quad-Core (not a Phenom II)

Your motherboard also has a strange form factor that is still standard.