[SOLVED] Upgrade for i7 7700

juliolu

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
Hello all. An upgrade from i7 7700 (non k) to ryzen 3700x will worth it?

This is my current hardwares:
  • i7 7700 (non k)
  • MSI H270m mortar arctic
  • 2 x 8gb 3000 MHz xpg adata (using only 2400 due CPU limitation)
  • Cryorig H7
  • Powercolor red devil vega 56
  • TX650m
I'm thinking in get:
  • ryzen 7 3700x
  • msi b450 tomahawk
Details:
  • Using for games and coding
  • Will OC my memories to 3000
  • For CPU, will rely in the turbo boost
This upgrade will worth it?
Doing this upgrade, will I need install OS from the fresh or is unnecessary? (Using W10)
X570 seems good, but the price is out of question. Saw that next year will be released Intel next-gen CPU with lga 1200 (meaning get a new cooler) so out of question too. Was thinking in wait for B550 mobos, but seems they wont be released so soon. Since in any case I will need replace my CPU/MOBO, a ryzen 3700x + B450 tomahawk looks a nice combo budget "friendly". Or there are more options? For 3600 it seems won't attend my demands.

Thanks for help.

Solution
Unless you are pegged at 99-100% usage an upgrade wont do anything for you.
Using 70-90% of a processor still means you have headroom, dosent matter if its 10% or 90% at that point.
The additional cores/threads likely wont make much of a difference in gaming either, most games wont take advantage of a large amount of threads.

If you were to upgrade to a 3700x, I doubt you would see much gaming improvements, but in tasks like video editing/rendering it would be far more obvious.

juliolu

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
I'd think that would make an excellent upgrade... (is your chosen mainboard pre-configured for Ryzen 3000, or, is it on of the few you can flash to a new BIOS without a CPU installed?)
the mobos available here (BR) seems already have the BIOS updated so i dont think will be an issue. I chose tomahawk since i many reviews says that has a good VRM. There are others available too, like TUF, Aorus, Colorful, biostar, bazooka, but their vrm seems is not very good.

juliolu

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
"Worth it" is entirely up to you.
What about your 7700 is holding you back?
In my current setup, playing some games like GRB or even few RPG maker games still has a high CPU usage. For GRB use almost 60~70%, almost 90 in some cutscenes. With the upgrade, will have a double of cores and thread and slightly difference in the turbo boost (from 4.2 to 4.4), and will be able to use my ram to fullest. I wonder if 3700x will be able to solve my problem with high cpu usage.

Unless you are pegged at 99-100% usage an upgrade wont do anything for you.
Using 70-90% of a processor still means you have headroom, dosent matter if its 10% or 90% at that point.
The additional cores/threads likely wont make much of a difference in gaming either, most games wont take advantage of a large amount of threads.

If you were to upgrade to a 3700x, I doubt you would see much gaming improvements, but in tasks like video editing/rendering it would be far more obvious.

Solution