Upgrade for Jan

hminh87

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Its time to promote my current machine to homeserver-class and get meself a new upgrade for the latest games and applications

Like so many other I've fallen stuck between duo vs quad.

The mainboard will be ASUS P5Q SE which is the non-CF board and without RAID capability. I don't really need either one of them so its alright.It's bothers PRO and DELUXE had made many good tests and reviews out there. I expect the SE version will give me the same performance.

Duo setup:
Intel Core 2 Duo
OCZ Reaper HPC PC8500 4GB

The plan is to run the FSB at 450Mhz with CPU multiplier at x9 = 4Ghz and the whole thing should be stable according to the tests I've read around.

Quad setup:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
CORSAIR XMS2 PC6400 CL4 4GB

I want to run the FSB at 400Mhz if possible (If I get a good G0 stepping and all...). IF the CPU starts to struggling at that speed I will just lower it to around 3Ghz which should be very stable for many people.

So, what do you guys think? Which one of these will be best? I play quite a lots of games but also do video encoding and 3D rendering.

Q6600 - with a good HSF, you should be able to reach 3.3 GHz and maybe 3.6 GHz.

Have you considered one of the Yorkfield CPU's? Probably cannot hit the raw clock speed of an OC'd Q6600, but the improved architecture and instructions should boost video processing.

hminh87

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Oh, my bad. The Core 2 Duo is E8500 Yorkfield. I made the link to it but forgot to write the model name.

I cant edit my posts. Anybody knows whats wrong?
You are not allowed to edit this message!

Back to previous page

hminh87

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007

How stupid can I be... I mean Wolfdale