[SOLVED] Upgrade for my PC

Yegor Medvedev

Honorable
May 10, 2017
Hi everyone!

I have
  • ASRock H87 Pro4 (chipset H87) LGA 1150
  • i5-4670K, 3700 MHz
  • 16 Gigs of RAM DDR-3 1600 (dual chanel)
  • GTX 770, 2 GB
i have problems with some new games (like Detroit become human) and i feel like i need an upgrade, but obviously i don't wanna change MB and everyting, just want to buy some parts.

So i thought of upgrading it by buying Xeon E3-1246 v3 and GTX 2070 (or 1080 not TI).
gaming at 1080 60fps midle or high settings is fine for me, no need for 4K or something.

What do you think, does it make sence, will it work fine and will i have a bust with no bottleneck? I also render sometimes in AE.
For how long do you tink this upgrade will be fine for games and rendering ?
If there's better Xenon or GPU for my set, please advise.

Last edited:
Solution
The 2060 SUPER typically performs within 5% of a 2070 in graphics-limited workloads, as it is literally just a 2070 with 5.5% fewer cores enabled, but the entire memory system left intact. And in games limited more by your CPU's performance, there won't be much of a performance difference between them at all. The 2060 SUPER was more or less Nvidia's way of giving the 2070 a much-needed price cut.

A 2070 could still be a reasonable option at the right price, but I wouldn't pay more than 5% more for one than a 2060 SUPER. And a GTX 1080 should typically be a bit slower than a 2060 SUPER, and lacks the new hardware features introduced with the 20-series. And those you are only likely to find on the pre-owned market at this point...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
A 2060 super video card would be about a 100% increase and about the best processor would be the 4790K but the processor would just be about a 20 to 25% increase doing things that can take advantage of the hyperthreading.

I would try the video card first since the 770 is fairly old then decide if you need the new processor.

If you could find a good price on a used 4790K just depends on the market where you live.

Depending on the price of the processor it might be better to spend a couple hundred more a get a AMD 2700. or 3600 with a budget board and 16GB of DDR4 memory.

Your going to have a bottleneck in the PC no matter what you buy.

Last edited:

Yegor Medvedev

Honorable
May 10, 2017
A 2060 super video card would be about a 100% increase and about the best processor would be the 4790K but the processor would just be about a 20 to 25% increase doing things that can take advantage of the hyperthreading.

I would try the video card first since the 770 is fairly old then decide if you need the new processor.

If you could find a good price on a used 4790K just depends on the market where you live.

Depending on the price of the processor it might be better to spend a couple hundred more a get a AMD 2700. or 3600 with a budget board and 16GB of DDR4 memory.

Your going to have a bottleneck in the PC no matter what you buy.

the thing is i wanna buy used Xeon E3-1246 v3 from China cos it's supercheap and it has great perfomance.
I don't wanna buy a board and memory, just the CPU and GPU.
So do you think 2600 is the max GPU for Xeon?

The 2060 SUPER typically performs within 5% of a 2070 in graphics-limited workloads, as it is literally just a 2070 with 5.5% fewer cores enabled, but the entire memory system left intact. And in games limited more by your CPU's performance, there won't be much of a performance difference between them at all. The 2060 SUPER was more or less Nvidia's way of giving the 2070 a much-needed price cut.

A 2070 could still be a reasonable option at the right price, but I wouldn't pay more than 5% more for one than a 2060 SUPER. And a GTX 1080 should typically be a bit slower than a 2060 SUPER, and lacks the new hardware features introduced with the 20-series. And those you are only likely to find on the pre-owned market at this point, where they will typically be lacking warranty coverage.

There's also the original 2060 (non-SUPER), though that card performs up to around 15% behind the SUPER version, and includes less VRAM.

Solution