[SOLVED] upgrade from 1070

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Is there any good GPU upgrades for me out there thatll make a decent difference and i can actually buy at the minute?
I have a 1070 in a 9900k 32gb new build and I need a GPU upgrade.. should I just wait?

Solution
Is there any good GPU upgrades for me

Absolutely, all depends on your budget and needs, such as what resolution and game style.

out there

That's a different story. Over-zealous purchasing by scalpers and miners has driven an already limited supply into almost extinction. It's so bad right now, that it's pretty much guaranteed you could sell your 3 year old card for more than you paid for it in the first place. Ppl are desperate for anything decent, so even the 10 and 20 series are dissappearing faster than a $100 bill in the middle of the mall.

You have a working, functional gpu. I'd keep gaming on it until it's legs fall off.

$1000 will get you a 3060 if you are lucky. That goes head to head with a 2070 or 1080...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Is there any good GPU upgrades for me

Absolutely, all depends on your budget and needs, such as what resolution and game style.

out there

That's a different story. Over-zealous purchasing by scalpers and miners has driven an already limited supply into almost extinction. It's so bad right now, that it's pretty much guaranteed you could sell your 3 year old card for more than you paid for it in the first place. Ppl are desperate for anything decent, so even the 10 and 20 series are dissappearing faster than a $100 bill in the middle of the mall.

You have a working, functional gpu. I'd keep gaming on it until it's legs fall off.

$1000 will get you a 3060 if you are lucky. That goes head to head with a 2070 or 1080. Not really much of an upgrade from a 1070. $1200 might get you a 3060ti, roughly the same as a 2070Super or 1080ti, which is a better upgrade. You'd be looking at more than that for a 3070. ($1400-$1600 on ebay)

Last edited:
Solution

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015

$1000 will get you a 3060 if you are lucky. That goes head to head with a 2070 or 1080. Not really much of an upgrade from a 1070. $1200 might get you a 3060ti, roughly the same as a 2070Super or 1080ti, which is a better upgrade. You'd be looking at more than that for a 3070. ($1400-$1600 on ebay)
Yeah youre on the ball with that one, cheers! I think I'll go for a new monitor 1440p 144hz instead of the GPU for now then. Any recomendations on that end? was looking at the LG27gl850

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
In a case where you are determined to find something and have that to spend, I would look into the Newegg or EVGA "lottery" thing they have going.

A 1070 is still a viable card, particularly if you are willing to sacrifice eye candy.
Could you link me these lotterys? And I', aware the 1070 still holds up respectfully, but I built a decentely high end rig over a year ago and still have the GPU holding me back lol. Same as a lot of people though so cant complain.

I would look into the Newegg or EVGA "lottery" thing they have going
where Newegg has their "Shuffle" program, that is in effect a sort of lottery

EVGA has a queue system where the first to sign-up are the first to be notified.
Since many of us have already been signed up for this for many months, the queue line is probably extended to a year or more from now for new registries. that's if they'll ever have enough supply to fill the demand that has been created.

Could you link me these lotterys?
if you have an account with Newegg, download their Android app and it will notify you of the Shuffles when they are initiated.
the products offered are totally random and usually the high-end cards are a part of bundled items.
but there's been a few lately with single 3070s, 3060s, RX 6700 XTs.

if you live near a Microcenter, that's still the best bet according to most.
if you can determine what day their deliveries arrive, just get in line before opening and hope that's part of their new stock that day.

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
where Newegg has their "Shuffle" program, that is in effect a sort of lottery

EVGA has a queue system where the first to sign-up are the first to be notified.
Since many of us have already been signed up for this for many months, the queue line is probably extended to a year or more from now for new registries. that's if they'll ever have enough supply to fill the demand that has been created.
Lol so mental. Might aswel wait for the 4080s at that rate.

It appears that Newegg ended theirs with no return date.
there are new Shuffles constantly through the week. each one is only open for a few hours and when the next one begins is never officially stated.

last week there were three that i caught, ended up landing a 6700 XT in one.
this week there has only been one so far, had a couple 3070 & 3080 options but 3080s were bundled with expensive PSUs and motherboards.

Reactions: punkncat
Linus Tech Tips released a video on the whole situation after speaking with the manufacturers.

But the short of it is there's a demand problem simply because we're stuck at home and a lot of people found new hobbies. Manufacturers don't expect to be caught up with demand for at least a year.

But hey, assuming your GPU lasts that long, we'll have a new generation and the old generation will probably be less sought after.

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Linus Tech Tips released a video on the whole situation after speaking with the manufacturers.

But the short of it is there's a demand problem simply because we're stuck at home and a lot of people found new hobbies. Manufacturers don't expect to be caught up with demand for at least a year.

But hey, assuming your GPU lasts that long, we'll have a new generation and the old generation will probably be less sought after.
Yep exactly what I was thinking. Just hold off until a new generation comes.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you look at current sales, demand hasn't slacked. Just changed orientation. The miners and scalpers are trying their best to soak up 30 series sales, so consumers are having a devil of a time getting a card. That leaves those same consumers buying the cra* out of the 10 and 20 series cards, just to have something viable. Even cards as low as the 750ti are seeing higher demand as that trend of gamers buying up the better cards, floats downhill, so the fiddle-faddle old school gamers are having to settle for lesser cards.

Even adding a new generation isn't going to change that that much, if at all. Miners/scalpers will just add the 40 series to the bots search parameters.

What'll change things is if nvidia actually does implement its hash-squash routine for the 40 series, and produce a seperate mining line. The way the Quadro cards are currently.

That wouldn't be a bad move on nvidia's part, it'd leave the 40 series in a bad way for miners, leaving them only the option of the 30's or 40-miners, then all consumers for the 40 series would have to contend with is the scalpers. And they wouldn't last long since miners wouldn't be buying their cards within hours of posting.

jtk2515

Distinguished
I’ll pass on scalpers. Been waiting months for a 3080 if sucks

What I did was just watch slickdeals every day and wait for a prebuilt deal to come up. Their was a deal just yesterday for a prebuilt with a 3070 in it for 1137$. Just rip out the GPU and sell the computer for 400-500 dollars.

I bought a prebuilt with a 6800xt and a 5600x for 1400$ about 3 weeks ago. My friend bought like 6 3080 prebuild deals that were 1350$ about 4 months ago and I thought he was a idiot, but he has made about700$ per card so far in crypto and continues to repetitively tell me every few weeks how much he has made.

Last edited: