[SOLVED] Upgrade from 1070

Qm____

Honorable
Jun 28, 2017
Hello!

I have a question, will I get any performance boost if I upgrade 1070 to for example 3060 or 3060TI? (Or maybe to wait for a 4060?)

I'm mostly using Photoshop, and images can go up to 10000x7000 px, 20+ layers. It can get pretty slow sometimes with my current configuration:

MSI Z390a-PRO
Intel 9700K @ 5.0
64GB ram DDR4, Kington 3600
MSI Armor GTX 1070 8GB
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
ANTEC EAGPRO 750W

Windows 11 Pro, 22H2
Photostop 24.1

Over the web they usually say that PS is using mostly CPU and RAM, I think these should be OK then, but correct me if I'm wrong!

Edit:
I forgot to add, I'm using Dell U2719D ( 2560x1440-60Hz)

Last edited:
Solution
The cpu is responsible for the frame. All the layers, objects, dimensions etc all get sorted out by the cpu and stuck in a data packet which gets sent to the gpu. The gpu takes that data, renders it, according to the global settings and resolution, then puts it on screen.

For 2d apps like Photoshop, that's child's play for the GTX1070, you could get the same results at 1080p from a GTX750TI. That's how little use you get from the gpu side.

So yes, for Photoshop in particular, it can get very ram heavy and cpu heavy, which takes time to organize. Gotta figure that for every picture, the cpu is responsible for assigning colors, vectors, shadows, lighting etc, the gpu just has to put all that info into a picture...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu is responsible for the frame. All the layers, objects, dimensions etc all get sorted out by the cpu and stuck in a data packet which gets sent to the gpu. The gpu takes that data, renders it, according to the global settings and resolution, then puts it on screen.

For 2d apps like Photoshop, that's child's play for the GTX1070, you could get the same results at 1080p from a GTX750TI. That's how little use you get from the gpu side.

So yes, for Photoshop in particular, it can get very ram heavy and cpu heavy, which takes time to organize. Gotta figure that for every picture, the cpu is responsible for assigning colors, vectors, shadows, lighting etc, the gpu just has to put all that info into a picture.

Puget is the only source of info about Adobe I trust, they actually explain the ins and outs of what it really takes.

Reactions: Qm____
Solution