[SOLVED] Upgrade from 1600 to 3600x 3700x 3800x?

Proteus1

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Current
CPU: R5 1600
MB: Asus B450-f Strix Bios 3003
Ram: Corsair 16GB LPX 3000Mhz
GPU: Asus Radeon 5700XT Reference
PS: Corsair HX750 Professional Gold
Monitor: AOC CQ27G1 144Hz 1ms 1440p

The main reason for upgrading is fps
I know this MB doesn't have the best vrm but I was thinking the 3700x with its impressive 65w TDP would not be held back. 3800x is probably pushing it to far? Or better in between option 3600x but loose 2 cores? Thoughts?

Have all the kinks been worked out with the 3000 series bios issues, blue screens, boost issues? Not sure if these were more certain mb manufacturers or AMD related issues. I do know I have had zero problems to this day on my current setup but since updating bios my shutdown and boot times have increased but not dramatically. After updating bios is it just plug the new chip in or is there some things to look out for?

Thanks for your time

Solution
3800x is probably pushing it to far? Or better in between option 3600x but loose 2 cores?
The 3800X gets some of the best-binned cores but the actual performance increase vs. the 3700X, as measured in benchmarks, is very small. In games, it was basically lost in margin of error. That led most reviewers to greatly prefer the 3700X because the cost delta just wasn't justified by performance.

But those best-binned cores means this is the over-clocking champion if you want to manually all-core overclock. That's the real reason this processor exists, IMO. But to get the best overclocks you need a premium motherboard that delivers very stable power, meaning high phase count VRM's that are extremely well cooled. Even then...

Starcruiser

Honorable
Most of the issues with ryzen were worked out by the second generation, particularly those bios problems and ram frequency issues.

Your VRM is fine if you don't plan on doing major overclocking. If it's certified to work in the compatibility list, it will work at stock. Your only issue would be heat with the 3700X.

Reactions: Proteus1
3800x is probably pushing it to far? Or better in between option 3600x but loose 2 cores?
The 3800X gets some of the best-binned cores but the actual performance increase vs. the 3700X, as measured in benchmarks, is very small. In games, it was basically lost in margin of error. That led most reviewers to greatly prefer the 3700X because the cost delta just wasn't justified by performance.

But those best-binned cores means this is the over-clocking champion if you want to manually all-core overclock. That's the real reason this processor exists, IMO. But to get the best overclocks you need a premium motherboard that delivers very stable power, meaning high phase count VRM's that are extremely well cooled. Even then you often wind up killing lightly threaded performance in order to achieve a high all-core overclock. Zen2's boosting algorithm (coupled with AMD's binning process) is really that good that it essentiall overclocks during lightly threaded workloads very close to the limits of the silicon.

I prefer the 8 cores/16 threads of my 3700X to the 3600's 6/12. Having all those execution threads available really makes for an extremely smooth Windows experience with a lot of windows open. Especially with two or three browser windows open each with maybe 10 tabs open each, it can make a major difference in system responsiveness.

Reactions: Proteus1
Solution