[SOLVED] Upgrade from 3700X to 5800X3D for gaming at 4K?

Hello all, hope you're well

Here is system specs:

-Ryzen 3700X +200mhz pbo, runs 4200mhz during all core load like cinebench
-Asus strix 2080 ti oced
-32gb ddr3400 c14 fclk 1700mhz (I cant get past 1700mhz fclk)
-Seasonic 1200w Prime Gold
-Asus TUF x570 latest bios motherboard
-M.2 ssd samsung 1tb, wd 2tb
Did I miss smth?

Should I upgrade my cpu to 5800x3d for playing at 4K? My oced 2080 ti with dlss quality runs fine at 4K in all my games maxed out no rt except for cyberpunk it dips into low 50s and high 40s sometimes but its playable. I read even at 4K cpu can make a difference, maybe not much difference in avg fps but a big difference in minimum fps.

Also I plan on upgrading my gpu this gen if AMD offers a better value than Nvidia, if not, I will wait for next gen.

Thanks!

Solution
I forgot about my monitor, its LG IPS HDR400 4K 60Hz so I use vsync fps locked to 60fps. Is there a benefit of running a higher fps than my monitor's refresh rate? I tried it but lots of stuttering and tearing. Monitor is Freesync 48-60hz range.
Input lag is lower so that could be beneficial in fast paced shooters like CSGO. If your playing normal triple A's then no playing with an unlocked frame rate will only cause frame time spikes which will lead to stuttering, and as you say you will get visible tearing because the monitor and GPU are not in sync.

Should I upgrade my cpu to 5800x3d for playing at 4K?
It's not something I would do, certainly not with a 2080 Ti. However if you were to upgrade to a 4080 or 4090 then...
I forgot about my monitor, its LG IPS HDR400 4K 60Hz so I use vsync fps locked to 60fps. Is there a benefit of running a higher fps than my monitor's refresh rate? I tried it but lots of stuttering and tearing. Monitor is Freesync 48-60hz range.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Simple test turn all your settings to low/off then play the games.
That will show the FPS your processor can run your games.
If you get enough FPS for your liking then no reason to upgrade the CPU at this time.

Reactions: Zizo007
Input lag is lower so that could be beneficial in fast paced shooters like CSGO. If your playing normal triple A's then no playing with an unlocked frame rate will only cause frame time spikes which will lead to stuttering, and as you say you will get visible tearing because the monitor and GPU are not in sync.

Should I upgrade my cpu to 5800x3d for playing at 4K?
It's not something I would do, certainly not with a 2080 Ti. However if you were to upgrade to a 4080 or 4090 then there is more of a case for upgrading the CPU. I would say any improvement at 4k 60hz will be very incremental to non existent in most titles.

My oced 2080 ti with dlss quality runs fine at 4K in all my games maxed out no rt except for cyberpunk it dips into low 50s and high 40s sometimes but its playable
It's a very demanding game on both the CPU and GPU, is your GPU pegged at 100% when running Cyberpunk?

Solution
Yes its at about 97-99% gpu usage. I guess I won't need to upgrade my cpu unless I get a gpu capable of 4K 120+fps with a high refresh rate 4K monitor.
At that usage a CPU upgrade will do nothing. You may find on the odd title the 0.1% lows are below 60, therefore a newer CPU would be objectively better. However it's very edge case stuff that you are unlikely to ever notice. While certain games like Cyberpunk can load up a 3700X pretty hard at times, there is no game available today that does not run well on a 3700X. If you had a 120hz 4k screen with a 4080, then yes upgrading would then make much more sense.