Upgrade from 3770 K to 9900 k? Or wait for pcie 5?

Starkium

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I am a solo game developer who works with Unreal Engine 4 and virtual reality. my computer is still pretty quick by today's standards but I am starting to feel the productivity Slowdown from Hardware. I am I balling the new 9900 k, but I don't like the Shady results being posted so I'm still waiting for individual testing. I'm also still on DDR3 at 1600 megahertz. I already have a solid state drive. My motherboard is a Maximus V formula. My graphics card is an EVGA 980 TI classified.

I already use some software solutions to use more cores from other computers on my network for light mass building and compiling. I really need Rob performance though because I am also a twitch streamer who streams is game development and I want to be able to do that while also in VR. also I run a leap motion and connect version 1 for some additional stuff all at the same time.

I don't really want to buy AMD partially because slight Fanboy ism for Intel but also because I can just wait a little bit longer if I have to. Intel has been good to me for these six years I've had this computer and this is still my first computer build. I'd like to build another computer that's going to last me about just as long with maybe a graphics card refresh.

I've also been looking at the RTX series cards but I don't really think that solution is fully baked yet so I might wait till quarter 1 for graphics cards.

Oct 10, 2018
It's usually not recommended to way because there's no point or it'll be an endless cycle, new hardware will come out on a regular basis. The I7 9900K will last you for a long long time so just go for it. Make sure to buy a decent high end motherboard (Some examples: https://innoreviews.com/best-motherboard-for-i7-9900k/ ) so that you can overclock your CPU in the future if needed.

Regarding the graphics card the 980TI is good enough for today's market and probably will be more than enough for years to come.