Upgrade from 660 TI to 680 Worth It?

john1587

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I am thinking to upgrade from my 660 ti but really not sure. I am able to play any game that i want even Crysis 3 beta with maximum details but between 40 and 60 fps, I really like to play 60+ fps thats why I am thinking o upgrade to a 680, but I am not sure if worth to wait until 700 series arrive and pick up a 780 or 770, what do you think? I haven't had any experience with Radeon but I am not considering because they consume a lot more power and I have heard the drivers some times have issues and stop working.

Solution
A lot of people can see much more than 60FPS. Just because maybe you can't doesn't mean that everyone can't.

AMD does not consume a lot more power except for the 7970 GHz Edition and the 7990 which is technically not an AMD card because it's unofficial. AMD's drivers are generally jsut as good as Nvidia's; AMD simply needs more time to get them good after each graphics generation launches. AMD has already got them great for Radeon 7000 cards. However, if you're more familiar with Nvidia, then there's little reason to switch right now.

If you really want to upgrade, then I suggest the 670 over the 680. Pretty much identical performance, but it uses somewhat less power and is cheaper. The 680 is pretty much a waste of money.

john1587

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

It means a lot to me, absolutely not the same experience playing at 40 or less like 30 fps with medium quality, if you think Far cry 3 on Ultra @60 FPS is the same with lower quality in 30 FPS you may need eye glassess

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Realistically you can't see better than 30FPS....
As long as the game runs smooth and the resolution is to your liking...you're good till you actually need a better card!
Now if we're talkin gaming in 3D well then I would be more serious about 60FPS cause you would have 30fps/eye...

A lot of people can see much more than 60FPS. Just because maybe you can't doesn't mean that everyone can't.

AMD does not consume a lot more power except for the 7970 GHz Edition and the 7990 which is technically not an AMD card because it's unofficial. AMD's drivers are generally jsut as good as Nvidia's; AMD simply needs more time to get them good after each graphics generation launches. AMD has already got them great for Radeon 7000 cards. However, if you're more familiar with Nvidia, then there's little reason to switch right now.

If you really want to upgrade, then I suggest the 670 over the 680. Pretty much identical performance, but it uses somewhat less power and is cheaper. The 680 is pretty much a waste of money.

Solution

john1587

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Haha set a frame target of 30 FPS and start playing any game for about half hour, and then unlock the 30FPS to 60 or more and you will see the difference. No way you would want to play at 30

what makes you think his machine is capable of even providing a minimum of 60fps?

"maxed out" as he says.............

MyUsername2

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Ultimately it is up to your personal preference. Personally I would lower a few graphics settings just slightly to hit 60fps average before I spend money on a new card in the same generation. I believe the GTX 670 FTW should average you between 60-70 fps maxed settings in Crysis 3.

I've been in at least two threads in the last week about Crysis 3 beta being too much maxed out for any current single GPU card and people requesting upgrade advice to get a better experience. IDK about hitting 60-70FPS averages unless the minimums are much lower.