Question Upgrade from 750Ti

Mar 21, 2019
Hi, I want to upgrade my graphics card. Budget is around 230$. But my other components are old, so question is, if it's not better idea to upgrade the whole system. I want play some newer games, but otherwise this old computer is running still fine. Thanks for answers

MB: Asus M4A77TD-PRO
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
RAM: 14GB DDR3
PSU: Fortron Saga II 500W

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly, I would just grab a budgetish GPU like the RX560, maybe an RX570 and call it a day.

You can always upgrade the core of the system another time.

$230 is almost enough to pick up a Ryzen 2200G, motherboard, and ram. That is essentially an RX540 on board. If you were willing to spend a little more the Ryzen 2400G is a little bit better still.

Kind of depends on what the performance level of your current GPU is.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL - EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $248.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-21 18:01 EDT-0400

Reactions: Maofko
It depends on what you mean by 'newer games'. Some newer games are just as demanding on the CPU as they are on the videocard. Just upgrading the videocard doesn't solve all performance problems like it did in the old days. On the other hand, some newer games mostly need videocard power, and the 750 Ti was entry level five years ago, so it's not exactly fast these days.

If it were me, I'd upgrade the core system first. I think it's very likely you'll get better use out of a new CPU/motherboard/ram plus your 750 Ti instead of pairing your old AMD CPU with a $200 videocard.

Mar 21, 2019
Thanks for all your answers. I tested my system with msi afterburner with few games to see the numbers and my cpu definitely needs an upgrade. For example Mass Effect Andromeda with lowest graphics settings uses my 750Ti only for 20-30%, but all 6 cpu cores runs constantly at 100% and moves of player's character are slow. Not playable at all. A few times after messing with game menus utilization of cpu cores falls to around 60% and game was then normally playable, but only upon next start of game. :)