Upgrade from 840M laptop to GTX 980 Desktop

parsecby3

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Hello!

I am currently using an i7-4800MQ and GeForce 840M laptop. It is struggling to run most of my games on the lowest settings (cough* Witcher 3). My issue is that I want to upgrade to a GTX 980, but that would mean I would have to get a desktop a whole lot earlier than planned. Is it worth struggling with this years games, and more so next year to wait for something better than the 980? Should I make a smaller jump?

Thanks,

Parsec

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
That all depends on how much money you have to spend for parts. If you can afford to upgrade your GPU every year, then there is really no reason to wait. Even if you don't touch anything else in your system besides the GPU after the initial buy, your system should be able to comfortably last 3-5 years.

If you can't afford to do that, then it's more of a personal decision whether you should wait or not. The next generation GPUs from nvidia and AMD sound exciting (HBM2, new process node, rumors of pascal doubling transistor count over maxwell, etc), but we don't know whether reality will match expectation, not to mention they are a year away. Most of the time, the purely practical answer is to not wait because there's ALWAYS going to be newer, better tech on the horizon. If you're always worrying that what you buy will become obsolete, you'll just end up never buying anything because that's always going to be true.