Upgrade from 8800GT to 560 GTX causes black screen on start up

Blazkowicz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
I just purchased a EVGA 560 GTX video card to replace my EVGA 8800 GT but when I install it and turn the PC on I just get a black screen. No POST sounds or anything but once or twice if I was lucky I saw my motherboards start up screen and then a screen full of gibberish before it went to a black screen. I plug my old 8800 GT back in and it works again so I know its the video card but I'm not sure if its a conflict issue with some of my hardware or what.

My working set up is as follows:
Q6600 CPU
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L motherboard
Ultra X3 800W ATX PSU
EVGA 8800 GT

Blazkowicz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007

I did uninstall the drivers before installing the GTX but it gave me the same problems.

It's a unified driver, one size fits all (of the current cards).

@OP, Uninstall the driver and install or reinstall the latest one as it works for both the 8800GT and the GTX560Ti.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
quote "No POST sounds or anything but once or twice if I was lucky I saw my motherboards start up screen and then a screen full of gibberish before it went to a black screen " quote
the guy cant even startup the PC, so everyone saying that he should uninstall the old drivers its not a solution. To me, the GTX 560 its dead. Did you plug in 2 PCi-e power connectors into your card? :) the 8800 GT only requires 1 PCI-e power plug.

Blazkowicz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007

Plugged them in, the fan turns on and the whole case sounds like it running but the screen is just blank. I've installed many video cards in the past but never came across this before.

How do you test if the card is dead or not?

When the old 8800GT is in would be the time to uninstall the driver.

on the outside of the power supply under 12v.......... looked it up. think it said 54amps which should be enough. IMO could be 2 things/ failing PS ( i had an Ultra won't own another ) or the video card is no good..... my take on provided information.

Blazkowicz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
I figured out the problem. I reinstalled windows a couple months ago after my PC was having some issues and I never updated my motherboards drivers so it was running on 3 year old drivers.

Installed the new ones and started up on the first try. Thanks for all your suggestions guys and for taking the time to try and help me.