Question Upgrade from 970 to 2070

Vytasb

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2015
I was thinking of updating my system from a GTX 970 to an RTX 2070 Ultra. I was hoping to get some opinions on whether this would be a worthwhile upgrade? Would it bottleneck at the CPU or RAM? Thanks all!

Specs:
MB: ASRock Z97 Killer
CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 2x8gb G.Skill TridentX 2400mhz

Okay. The upgrade is going to be huge/decent, but if you can wait for some more time, then it might be worth looking at the upcoming Nvidia RTX SUPER series of video cards, as well as AMD's mainstream NAVI GPUs. On what SCREEN RESOLUTION are you planning to game, 1080p, 2K, or 4K ?

Vytasb

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2015
I was thinking of waiting for those, as they're supposed to come out in a couple weeks. I have a 1080p monitor at the moment. I may buy a better monitor later. I know to get the full benefits of gaming in higher than 1080p I'd need to build a new PC. I just didn't want to pull the trigger on a new GPU if my CPU or Ram would hold it back anyways

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
Is GTX 970 not good enough? If you look at the system requirements of 2019 games, most of them list GTX 480 or GTX 670 on their recommended list. 970 is still better than those.

I was thinking of waiting for those, as they're supposed to come out in a couple weeks. I have a 1080p monitor at the moment. I may buy a better monitor later. I know to get the full benefits of gaming in higher than 1080p I'd need to build a new PC. I just didn't want to pull the trigger on a new GPU if my CPU or Ram would hold it back anyways
not really, the CPU load doesn't increase much with resolution, just with frame rate, you've got 4C8T which is just about enough at the moment, but you could drive that GPU on whatever screen it could cope with up to 60fps generally.

But OP said he has 1080p display, 970 should be more than enough for that for 60fps. What do you have think?
he also said he'll be thinking about upgrading, and a 970 will start to struggle, i've had to use an upscaled image and i'm still running at 4GB of memory usage constantly, with periods where the division 2 will not let me walk forward as it hasn't loaded textures, and they are all being loaded into the slow 0.5GB.