[SOLVED] Upgrade from a AMD Ryzen 3 1300x Quad-Core Processor?

Nov 18, 2020
I'm a bit new to computer parts and I built the pc I'm currently using a few years ago.

GPU : Radeon RX 580
CPU : AMD Ryzen 4 1300X Quad-Core
Motherboard : MSI Krait Gaming x370
RAM : 16gb

I felt like my pc was under performing in most games and I want to know if there is anything I could upgrade too. I just want to be able to run newer titles and such. Any suggestions? preferably in the 100's to 300's (cash wise)

Nov 18, 2020
you can put any 3000 series cpu in that mobo but you may want to update the BIOS to the newest first.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-KRAIT-GAMING#support-cpu

a 3600 would be a noticeable upgrade and can be had for less than $200
I was looking around for a 3600 and I found this. It's a
"AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler" and I was wondering if this could be a good upgrade? I'm a bit slow when it comes to buying parts cause I don't want to buy something wrong. If you have any recommendations I would surely love to look into them as well!

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
a 580 should be fine for 1080p for most games so long as you lower settings when needed. a 3600 would be a big upgrade for cpu power for sure.

with that in place you an start saving for a gpu upgrade down the line. it will cost more than the cpu for sure so getting the cpu first is a good first step while saving for whatever gpu you decide on.

i use a 1650 super which is similar to a 580 and a 3700x. i have no problems at 1080p in the games i play, though i don't play any high end AAA shooters or anything like that.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
I was looking around for a 3600 and I found this. It's a
"AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler" and I was wondering if this could be a good upgrade? I'm a bit slow when it comes to buying parts cause I don't want to buy something wrong. If you have any recommendations I would surely love to look into them as well!
for some reason, the 3600 cost more than the 3600x. may as well save a few bucks and get the 3600x

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQBFN2D

i did not realize the price had gone up for those cpu's since the last time i bought one. but if the 3600x is cheaper, no reason not to get it. comes with a better cooler if you plan on using the stock one.

Nov 18, 2020
for some reason, the 3600 cost more than the 3600x. may as well save a few bucks and get the 3600x

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQBFN2D

i did not realize the price had gone up for those cpu's since the last time i bought one. but if the 3600x is cheaper, no reason not to get it. comes with a better cooler if you plan on using the stock one.
Alright thank you! Last question before I part ways. How would Updating the BIOS work? Like should I update to the newest every time a patch or something comes out? or should I just only update when getting a new cpu?

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
i tend to only update if it brings something new that i need. the old "if it aint broke don't fix it" theory. but i do usually go to the newest for a new build to start out as updated as possible.

for the new cpu, i would go to the newest especially since you are jumping 2 generations of cpu. lots of optimizations for those since your board was made.

Nov 18, 2020
i tend to only update if it brings something new that i need. the old "if it aint broke don't fix it" theory. but i do usually go to the newest for a new build to start out as updated as possible.

for the new cpu, i would go to the newest especially since you are jumping 2 generations of cpu. lots of optimizations for those since your board was made.
Alright thank you! sorry for so many questions but should I update bios now? or when I get the cpu?

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
right update the BIOS before installing the new cpu. so do it now if possible so you don't forget :)

and don't worry abut asking a lot of questions. that's why we are here!! its better to ask before buying and avoiding any issues, than waiting until after you buy to find out a mistake was made. so ask away.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS