Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013
Specs:
Motherboard - MSI FM2-A55M-E33
CPU - AMD A8-6600K
RAM - 8GB DDR4
Power Supply - Seasonic S12-II 520W

I'm looking for something to simply replace my current GT 730 graphics card. Nothing super powerful and expensive, just something temporary that I can use as I'll be getting a new computer in the near future. I'm not good when it comes to this type of stuff so I thought I'd ask here for some recommendations. Max I'm really wanting to spend is $150 but preferably less if possible. Would prefer it also to be of a smaller size similar to the width of the GT 730 as I really don't have much space in my case.

Would love some recommendations :)

EDIT:
I've had a quick look and discovered this which seems to be a quite decent upgrade: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-G...01N33SOXU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
What do you think?

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, I agree that the 1050 ti, if you intend to game, is a good upgrade. I also agree that as Geofelt has indicated, you are severely limited by your CPU model BUT you are not AS limited by your CPU model as you currently are by your graphics card PLUS your CPU, motherboard and memory (All of which would need to be upgraded to go from what you have now to anything worth having) can all be upgraded later without losing any of the benefits of having a better graphics card now.

Also, your power supply is more than capable enough for that graphics card. While it's an old model and platform, it's still fairly capable. If you do a whole platform upgrade at some point I'd plan to replace it as it is technically not compatible with modern...
What is this graphics card meant to be used FOR?

Are you planning on using it for gaming? Watching video. Just running applications and browsing the web?

What the system is going to be FOR will tell us what will be enough. Obviously the 1050 ti you are looking at is MUCH more capable than your GT 730, but it might be a lot more than what you need if you are not gaming.

Is your current card failing, or is it just not capable of doing what you need it to do?

Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013
What is this graphics card meant to be used FOR?

Are you planning on using it for gaming? Watching video. Just running applications and browsing the web?

What the system is going to be FOR will tell us what will be enough. Obviously the 1050 ti you are looking at is MUCH more capable than your GT 730, but it might be a lot more than what you need if you are not gaming.

Is your current card failing, or is it just not capable of doing what you need it to do?
My bad haha. It's meant for gaming mainly. There isn't anything wrong with my current card, it's just not as powerful as I'd like.

The GTX1050ti you linked would be a decent upgrade.
But, your processor is very weak and may be your primary limiting factor, depending on the types of games you play.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Reactions: Codelyoko373
Yes, I agree that the 1050 ti, if you intend to game, is a good upgrade. I also agree that as Geofelt has indicated, you are severely limited by your CPU model BUT you are not AS limited by your CPU model as you currently are by your graphics card PLUS your CPU, motherboard and memory (All of which would need to be upgraded to go from what you have now to anything worth having) can all be upgraded later without losing any of the benefits of having a better graphics card now.

Also, your power supply is more than capable enough for that graphics card. While it's an old model and platform, it's still fairly capable. If you do a whole platform upgrade at some point I'd plan to replace it as it is technically not compatible with modern Intel systems and even if you were to go with a newer AMD build it still lacks some important protections you'd want to see if you were to use it with a new build.

Reactions: Codelyoko373
Solution

Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013
The GTX1050ti you linked would be a decent upgrade.
But, your processor is very weak and may be your primary limiting factor, depending on the types of games you play.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
I guess it's good then that I've always seen a FPS increase when lowering my graphics?

Codelyoko373

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013

Also, your power supply is more than capable enough for that graphics card. While it's an old model and platform, it's still fairly capable. If you do a whole platform upgrade at some point I'd plan to replace it as it is technically not compatible with modern Intel systems and even if you were to go with a newer AMD build it still lacks some important protections you'd want to see if you were to use it with a new build.
I do plan on basically getting a whole new computer eventually as pretty much every component in my computer is super old haha. I'll go for that 1050 Ti then! Thanks for the help :)