[SOLVED] Upgrade from a GTX770 to GTX1060 with my setup?

Feb 28, 2019
Hi. So I'm a total novice when it comes to PC building. I recently acquired my first gaming PC setup from a friend who was building a new rig. It came with a GTX770, which was serving me just fine for the past couple of months. About 2 weeks ago, I started getting a Code 43 that I have been unable to resolve (updated BIOS, rolled back/updated drivers, etc.). It's honestly probably just time to upgrade the card anyway, so I've been looking at my options.

I've been reading good things about the 1060. Now, knowing almost nothing about GPUs, I wanted to ask if my setup is compatible with a 1060? And does anyone have thoughts on 3gb versus 6gb? I play a lot of Overwatch, MOBAs, and some indie Steam games, but nothing too intense. So I just want something that's going to run those games at high or max quality.

In terms of my setup, I have an Intel i7 4770K @ 3.5Ghz and my motherboard is an ASUS Maximus VII Hero. (I don't know what other info is relevant, so let me know if more info is needed to assess compatibility). Total novice here.Thanks!

I honestly don't know what I have. Is there a way to check, short of opening up the case to look at the actual power supply?

Some have labeling on the back of the PSU that will face the outside of the case; otherwise, you'll have to crack open the case.

Some have labeling on the back of the PSU that will face the outside of the case; otherwise, you'll have to crack open the case.